The Underground Map


 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.166.141.69 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Website · Bermondsey · NW6 · Contributed by Scott Hatton
MARCH
16
2017


The Underground Map is a project which is creating a history website for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.

Latest on The Underground Map...
There are now over 23 000 articles on all variety of locations including amongst others, roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.

You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.

As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.

You can also view historical maps of London - use the Google Map control to change to a particular decade.The Underground Map project is creating a decade-by-decade series of historical maps of the area which lies within London's M25 ring.

From the 1800s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


 

Featured articles

AUGUST
11
2018

 

Whitefield School
Whitefield School is a secondary school and sixth form. The school was built between 1953-54 on the site of the disused Hendon Metropolitan water treatment works, part of the original Clitterhouse Farm. It was originally a Secondary Modern School and opened in autumn 1954 later than originally intended. This gave pupils transferring from other schools in the then Borough of Hendon and surrounding areas an extra three weeks summer holiday. At the time of opening it had seven 1st year classes of between thirty and forty. Classes 1 and 2 first year had French or German in their curriculum, unusual at the time. Other older pupils transferred in to second, third and fourth year classes.

In 1954 the school grounds extended only as far east as the Clitterhouse Brook, a small tributary of the river Brent. Many years later the grounds extended east beyond the Brook to the boundary with Hendon Way. This area was the overgrown disused site of the settling ponds of the old water treatment works which were transformed into school playing...
»more


AUGUST
10
2018

 

Addington Square, SE5
Addington Square is a Georgian and Regency garden square which was named after Henry Addington, prime minister in the early 19th century. Addington Square is unusually well-preserved, and a conservation area with the houses that make up the east, south and west sides of the square listed Grade II. The north side is newly refurbished tennis courts.

Because three sides of the square back onto Burgess Park and there is no through traffic, it is a peaceful space popular with lunchtime office workers. This controlled access, period buildings and proximity to central London also make it popular with film crews.

The buildings were constructed between the later 18th century and early 19th century. The square is not composed entirely of terraced properties neither are all the buildings of similar height or architectural treatment.

In the 1960s the square was notorious as the base of the Richardson Gang, a south London rival to the Kray twins. They ran a private drinking club from the square, which had “Mad” Frankie Fraser and two dancing bears in residence. According to the gang...
»more


AUGUST
9
2018

 

Alpha Grove, E14
Alpha Grove runs from Strafford Street to Tiller Road. Alpha Grove ran right through to the West India Dock fence dock - its cranes can be seen at the end of the road.

In 1964 the LCC declared this site as the Manilla Street Clearance Area, and this north end of Alpha Grove became a part of Manilla Street.
»read full article


AUGUST
8
2018

 

Abingdon Street, SW1P
Abingdon Street has linked Old Palace Yard and Millbank since at least 1593. At the northern end stood the South Gate of the Palace of Westminster. At the southern end was the ditch which marked the boundary of Thorney Island. Now, Great College Street marks this former boundary.

The street was briefly known as Lindsay Lane but by 1750 was known as Dirty Lane.

Around 1690, a mansion called Lindsay House was situated at the south-west end of the street. This was later the residence of the Earl of Abingdon. When the King came to parliament, the state coach drawn by eight horses used to turn round in the yard of the house.

In 1750, after an Act of Parliament it was widened and renamed Abingdon Street as part of the general approach improvements to the new Westminster Bridge.

From about 1820 Thomas Telford lived at No. 24. where he died in 1834. In 1932 Harold Clunn described one long terrace of shabby Georgian houses, largely inhabited by Members of Parliament.

Only four houses survived t...
»more


AUGUST
7
2018

 

Lithos Road, NW3
Lithos Road is part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road. Stone Yard power station was here originally - the power station for Hampstead Borough.

The supply of electricity had been managed initially by the Council's predecessor the Hampstead Vestry through its Electric Lighting Committee. Hampstead Metropolitan Borough Council Electricity Undertaking was authorised under the Hampstead (London) Electric Lighting Order 1892. The foundation stone was laid in 1892 and a Central Supply Station and Head Offices were built in 1893 at the Vestry's Stoneyard,

Supply began in 1894 of single-phase high-tension alternating current. From 1921 the bulk supply of electricity was taken from Saint Marylebone Borough Council, and Lithos Road ceased to generate in 1922.

The Borough Council Bathing Station, also in Lithos Road, closed in 1960

Nowadays in Lithos Road, the Lithos Road Estate is there, built in 1991 with high and low rise blocks bordered on each side by railway tracks. Designed by Po...
»more


AUGUST
6
2018

 

Golborne Road, W10
Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John's Church in Paddington. Until the middle of the nineteenth century it was no more than a country footpath crossing the fields of Portobello Farm, but in 1870 the road was widened, shops were built and the road was extended over the railway.

It was planted with trees and named Britannia Road. Later the trees were cut down and the street was called Golbourne and later Golborne Road.

By the beginning of the twentieth century, the area was one of the most overcrowded and poverty-stricken in London.

The thoroughfare was extensively bombed during WWII, after which the Victorian-era slums were cleared to make way for the Trellick and the Swinbrook and Wornington estates, which housed immigrant arrivals from the Caribbean.

Stella McCartney moved into a chapel on Golborne Road next to a curry house in 2002, heralding its arrival as a fashionable destination. Now going the way of upmarket Portobello Road (which intersects it), gastropubs ...
»more


AUGUST
5
2018

 

Old Kent Road, SE1
The Old Kent Road is famous as the cheapest property on the London Monopoly board. The route of Old Kent Road is one of the oldest trackways in England and was first metalled by the Romans as the road from Dover to Londinium. The Saxons later called this Watling Street. Chaucer’s pilgrims travelled along this route from London and Southwark on their way to Canterbury.

Although the name appears as simply Old Kent Road on maps, it is usually referred to by Londoners as The Old Kent Road. The Old Kent Road runs from the Bricklayers’ Arms roundabout, where it meets the New Kent Road, Tower Bridge Road, and Great Dover Street, to New Cross Road, which begins a little to the east of the mainline railway bridge - the change in street-name is coincident with the border with Lewisham borough. Before the county of London was created this would have been the boundary between Surrey and Kent, hence the change in name.

At the junction with the presently named Shornecliff Road (previously Thomas Street) was the bridge cross...
»more


AUGUST
4
2018

 

Kilburn Priory, NW6
Kilburn Priory is now a road - - it was once the site of a real priory Kilburn Priory itself, which dated from 1134 - the days of Henry I.

The priory was situated where the Westbourne crossed at the present site of the junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road. It had been constructed on the location of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn and was home to the community of Augustinian canonesses.

The priory, was dedicated to the “Blessed Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist”, became a renowned resting place for pilgrims stopping by on their way to St Albans. The river supplied the Priory’s moat and provided the inhabitants with water and fish until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 when the building was destroyed.

Priory lands incorporated a mansion and a guesthouse or hostium which may have constituted the basis of the Red Lion pub (believed to have been founded in 1444) and the Bell Inn which opened in about 1600.
»read full article


AUGUST
3
2018

 

Grangeway, NW6
Grangeway, NW6 lies off of Messina Avenue. Built in the period immediately following the First World War, Grangeway is tucked into the corner of Kilburn Grange Park.

The park itself is a 3.2 hectare open space in Kilburn. Administered by the London Borough of Camden, it includes a children’s playground, basketball court, outdoor gym equipment and tennis courts.

The park first opened in 1913 having previously been part of the Grange estate.


»read full article


AUGUST
2
2018

 

Dennington Park Road, NW6
About 1881 Dennington Park Road was constructed on the line of Sweetbriar Walk, the old path to Lauriston Lodge. 58 houses were built in Dennington Park Road and in Kingdon Road between 1883 and 1888, mostly by James Gibb.

A synagogue was built at the eastern end of Dennington Park Road in 1891.

Three blocks of flats, named Dene Mansions after Little Dene, home of the Ripley family, replaced Lauriston Lodge in 1904.
»read full article


AUGUST
1
2018

 

Menelik Road, NW2
Menelik Road runs from Westbere Road to Minster Road. In the 1890s, the Powell-Cotton family cashed in on their land holdings which laid to the east of the Edgware Road. Various new roads were named after places in Kent near to Quex House - the Powell-Cotton family seat: Richborough Road (1885), Minster Road (1891), Ebbsfleet Road (1893), Westbere Road (1893), Sarre Road (1896) and Manstone Road (1899).

One of the stalwarts of the family was Major Percy Horace Gordon Powell-Cotton (1866-1940) who travelled widely in Africa. The Major made over 28 expeditions to Africa. Powell-Cotton is noted for bringing an extraordinary number of animal specimens back from his travels across Africa, potentially creating the largest collection of game ever shot by one man. Despite this, Powell-Cotton was an early conservationist, helping categorise a wide number of species across the globe.

In 1900, Powell-Cotton met with Emperor Menelik II, who granted him permission to hunt across Ethiopia. Powell-Cotton’s subsequ...
»more


PREVIOUSLY ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP...

Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.