The Underground Map is a project which is creating street histories for the areas of London and surrounding counties lying inside the M25.
In a series of maps from the 1750s until the 1950s, you can see how London grew from a city which only reached as far as Park Lane into the post war megapolis we know today. There are now over 85 000 articles on all variety of locations including roads, houses, schools, pubs and palaces.
You can begin exploring by choosing a place from the dropdown list at the top left and then clicking Reset Location.
As maps are displayed, click on the markers to view location articles.
You can also view historical maps of London - click on the "pile of paper" control on the top right of a page's map to change to a particular decade.
Latest on The Underground Map...
Shepherd’s Bush Market
Minories is one of the old streets of the City of London. Minories runs north-south. The boundary between the City and the London Borough of Tower Hamlets used to run haphazardly between Minories and Mansell Street until boundary changes in 1994 relocated the present-day border along Mansell Street. Minories is now entirely within the City of London.
The name is derived from the former Abbey of the Minoresses of St Clare without Aldgate, founded in 1294. A small side-road off Minories is named St Clare Street. Minories was in the ancient parish of St Botolph without Aldgate until 1557, when it became extra-parochial.
The area was a ’papal peculiar’ outside the jurisdiction of the English bishops. The abbey was dissolved in 1539 and the property passed to the Crown. In 1686, the area became part of the Liberties of the Tower of London.
The Minories area historically hosted a large Jewish community.»more
Shepherd’s Bush Market was first established in 1914 Shepherd’s Bush Market is located on the east side of a railway viaduct of the Hammersmith and City Tube line. It is distinct from New Shepherd’s Bush Market, which is located a short distance to the west along the Uxbridge Road.
Individual market vendors sell a wide variety of goods, including fresh produce, cooked food, music CDs, household goods and clothing. Individual vendors rent their stalls from Transport for London, who own the land on which the market sits. The market is open six days a week.
»read full article
The Dimco Buildings housed the earliest (extant) example of an electricity generating station built for the London Underground Originally built in 1898 at the same time as the Wood Lane depot, the buidings were constructed as a power station for the Central London Railway - precursor of the Central line. The architect was Harry Bell Measures.
The power station was closed on 18 March 1928 when power for the line began to be supplied from Lots Road Power Station. The building was later used by the Dimco power tool company.
Today the Dimco Buildings part of house White City bus station, are Grade II listed.
The Dimco buildings were used as a filming location for the Acme Factory in the 1988 film ’Who Framed Roger Rabbit?’.
»read full article
Paddington Fire Station
Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road The fire station opened in 1894 after the site was purchased by the London County Council Fire Brigade Committee. It replaced an earlier station built by the Metropolitan Fire Brigade.
It was used until 1969 when a new fire station was opened by the Greater London Council on the Harrow Road.
»read full article
Newington Green, N16
Newington Green is a road, open space and neighbourhood on the border between Islington and Hackney Appearing in the Domesday Survey of 1086, the main activity for centuries was agriculture - latterly growing hay for nearby London.
In the 16th century, the area became connected to the court of Henry VIII. The king reputedly used a house on the south side of the Green and in 1523 a resident of the north side of the Green, in Brook House, was the future 6th Earl of Northumberland, Henry Percy. He was noted for his role in the affairs of Anne Boleyn. Brook House was later demolished, renamed Bishop’s Place, and divided into tenements.
The area became the home of English Dissenters during the 17th century. They moved to places tolerant of them and one such place was Newington Green. A dissenting academy was set up on north of the Green, run by Charles Morton. One of the academy’s students was Daniel Defoe, the writer famous for his novel Robinson Crusoe. Another pupil was Samuel Wesley, father of John Wesley.
One of the most notable resi...