Parsifal Road, NW6

Road in/near Fortune Green, existing between 1883 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.207.255.49 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Fortune Green · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2015

Parsifal Road runs from Finchley Road to Fortune Green Road.


The land had belonged to the Flitcroft estate and the name Parsifal Road was approved in 1883.

New College was built at the eastern end in 1887. Between 1890 and 1897, 13 large detached and semi-detached houses were built in Parsifal Road.


Main source: Hampstead: West End | British History Online
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Fortune Green

Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.

The name of Fortune Green is derived from foran-tune meaning in front of the tun, probably an inn in the area.

Originally Fortune Green was a patch of manorial waste, now in the north of the ward, where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports. The Green dwindled considerably in the 19th century when the lord of the manor granted enclosure rights for about a third of the area.

Lying on the south-west side of the Finchley Road, Hampstead town council decided to build its overflow cemetery here in the 1840s.

The arrival of the Midland Railway in 1871 brought rapid development and many large houses were demolished in favour of higher density buildings. Victorian residential buildings display considerable variety in their design and detail and there are a number of large distinctive red brick mansion blocks, most of which have remained unaltered.
Print-friendly version of this page