Cambridge Avenue, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.170.81.210 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kilburn Park · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6



xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Kilburn Park

Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.

The area of Kilburn Park was developed in the 1850s somewhat south of the area then known as Kilburn in the fields west of the Edgware Road. The "Park" in the name was simply an invention by the developer, James Bailey.

Bailey had teamed up in a consortium of five developers who in 1850 bought 47 acres from owner the Reverend Edward Stuart. The consortium laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.

The isolated, muddy location failed to attract many buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. Properties were soon subdivided, some containing as many as six households in the 1870s.

Kilburn Park was finally complete in the late 1880s.

During the first decade of the twentieth century, the London & North West Railway planned a tunnel between Queen’s Park and Euston. While a surface line was built instead along the same route, the idea of extending south from Queen’s Park gained momentum and, in 1911, it was mooted to extend the Bakerloo Line in that direction.

Despite an aggressive building schedule which saw the line completed in just four years, only two stations – Kilburn Park and Warwick Avenue were ready on time. Services were extended to Queen’s Park twelve days later, on 11 February 1915. Due to the war, Maida Vale did not follow until 6 June.

The station building was designed by Stanley Heaps in a modified version of the earlier Leslie Green designed Bakerloo line stations with glazed terra cotta façades but without the large semi-circular windows at first floor level. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. Because of the lack of lifts, there was no longer any need for an engine room, and the new station building was built as a single story building.

At time of opening, because the First World War was underway, the entire staff were women.
Print-friendly version of this page