Print-friendly version of this page Brondesbury Park is an affluent suburb and electoral ward of the London Borough of Brent.
Street/road in London NW6
User unknown/public domain
Brondesbury Park the suburb is centred on the railway station of the same name. It has a number of open spaces, such as Queen's Park and Tiverton Green.
The area was rural until the coming of the railway. The Hampstead Junction Railway route between Willesden Junction (Low Level) and Camden Road (via Gospel Oak) opened in 1860, but at first there were no stations west of Brondesbury. The line was absorbed by the London and North Western Railway in 1867, but it was not until 1 June 1908 that a station at Brondesbury Park was opened.
But already by 1887, Salusbury Road, running parallel to the Edgware Road, joined Kilburn to Brondesbury and Willesden Green. The whole of the Church Commissioners' estate east of Salusbury Road and south of the L. & N.W.R. was built on and there were patches of building and a complete street layout on the Kilburn Park estate to the south. North of the L. & N.W.R. line the street plan was laid out as far as Victoria Road and building was complete on the former Tanners Mead (north of Kilburn Lane and west of Edgware Road) and Elm Lodge estate. There was some building on both sides of the Hampstead Junction line. The rest of the area between the Hampstead Junction line and Willesden Lane was built up during the late 1880s. South of Willesden Lane building stretched westward to Paddington cemetery and along Brondesbury Road as far as Salusbury Road by 1896. Most of the Kilburn Park estate was built up, and south of the L. & N.W.R. building stretched westward to merge with Kensal Green.
Brondesbury along with Brondesbury Park attracted a lot of Irish immigrants and then, after the 1930s, many German Jewish people. Willesden as a whole had 3.5 per cent of the population born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria in 1951, a lot of these in Brondesbury Park.
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.