Godson Yard is a new development dating from 2005.
The original building here was first constructed by Mr George Godson in 1884.
The building was planned in 1880 when the Paddington Estate made three agreements with different builders. One of these was an agreement with George Godson for 50 terraced houses on the Paddington side of Kilburn Park Road
, (which was originally known as Park Road). These houses ranged between £200 and £500.
The Church Commission for England/Ecclesiastical Commissioners were the freehold owners of most of these houses and held onto the now Godson Yard building until 1955.
The first leaseholder at this address was a Mr A Godson (presumably a relative of Mr G Godson) who rented the house to Mr Herbert Henry King (described in the 1891 census as a corn and hay merchant) who ran the building as a granary and lived there with his wife Alice.
In 1910, the front building of Godson Yard (239 Kilburn Park Road
) comprised the following: Store rooms, coal cellars, a shop, stables (where the mews houses now stand), three stalls, a small yard, a Chaff cutting room*, and residential accommodation of 6 bedrooms and a bathroom.
On May 1955 an auction of 239 Kilburn Park Road
, as part of ’the former Paddington Estate’, described the property as:
’A freehold ground rent of £5 per annum’ as ’business premises and builder’s yard’.
The story continues in 2005 when Merry May Homes formed links with David Corley Architects* and planning permission was granted to transform the period property into contemporary living spaces now known as Godson Yard.