Granville Road, NW6 was formerly Pembroke Road.
Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
At the turn of the 1860s, builders laid out Granville Road, then called Pembroke Road in Kilburn Park. Being so close to the Edgware Road, with its good connections to central London, they hoped to attract a higher class of purchaser.
But by 1871 Kilburn was socially mixed - not as high-class as the builders had hoped but still including a few large houses like Kilburn House and streets like Alexandra (later Princess) Road where more than half the houses employed servants.
Commercial travellers, salesmen, and shopkeepers were among the inhabitants. There was still a strong middle-class, mainly professional and commercial, element in the population.
From early on, however, the working classes predominated and contemporaries noted the horrifying conditions in which many of Kilburn’s inhabitants lived. The overall density of 8 persons to a house in 1875 concealed streets like the newly built Pembroke Road in Kilburn Park where each house contained from four to six households.
It lay in the parish of St. John where 7,000 of the 9,000 residents in 1880 were said to be working-class, there were no wealthy people to give money for churches or schools, and in one group of streets 525 families lived in 81 houses.
Sickness was rife, and in 1875 Kilburn was castigated for its chronic pauperism, negligence, ignorance, and lack of cleanliness. The people usually came from similar conditions in Paddington and Marylebone and included, already in 1871 but increasingly during the 20th century, recent Irish immigrants.
They included a shifting population of the temporarily employed, often bachelors working in the building industry and living in overcrowded lodging houses. Social life centred around the public houses, said in 1949 to average one for every 424 people in south Kilburn compared with one to every 2,618 for the rest of Willesden.
The density of population in the whole of Kilburn remained at nearly 8 persons per house until well after the Second World War and in southern Kilburn was consistently over 10 people to a house. In 1881 in St. Luke’s parish it was over 12 people to a house. In south Kilburn in 1921 there were 208 people to an acre. In 1934 Pembroke Road was still notable for its poverty and overcrowding, and the poorest district in Willesden was the group of streets near Kilburn (Park) station.
A beginning was made of slum clearance in 1938 when houses were destroyed in Alpha Place
, off Canterbury Road
, but the Second World War intervened
Redevelopment after the Second World War split Granville Road into two halves.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|ADD A STORY TO GRANVILLE ROAD|
|VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The area of Kilburn Park was developed in the 1850s somewhat south of the area then known as Kilburn in the fields west of the Edgware Road. The "Park" in the name was simply an invention by the developer, James Bailey.
Bailey had teamed up in a consortium of five developers who in 1850 bought 47 acres from owner the Reverend Edward Stuart. The consortium laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.
The isolated, muddy location failed to attract many buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. Properties were soon subdivided, some containing as many as six households in the 1870s.
Kilburn Park was finally complete in the late 1880s.
During the first decade of the twentieth century, the London & North West Railway planned a tunnel between Queen’s Park and Euston. While a surface line was built instead along the same route, the idea of extending south from Queen’s Park gained momentum and, in 1911, it was mooted to extend the Bakerloo Line in that direction.
Despite an aggressive building schedule which saw the line completed in just four years, only two stations – Kilburn Park and Warwick Avenue were ready on time. Services were extended to Queen’s Park twelve days later, on 11 February 1915. Due to the war, Maida Vale did not follow until 6 June.
The station building was designed by Stanley Heaps in a modified version of the earlier Leslie Green designed Bakerloo line stations with glazed terra cotta façades but without the large semi-circular windows at first floor level. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. Because of the lack of lifts, there was no longer any need for an engine room, and the new station building was built as a single story building.
At time of opening, because the First World War was underway, the entire staff were women.
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Canterbury Works
· Carlton Vale Infant School
· Carlton Vale
· Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road
· Dorothy Gardner Centre
· Granville Plus Nursery School
· Kilburn Bridge
· Kilburn Park
· Kilburn Park Farm
· Kilburn Park Road
· Maida Vale Children’s Centre
· Malvern Mews
· Mary Paterson Nursery School
· Naima Jewish Preparatory School
· Peel Precinct
· Prince of Wales
· Princess Road
· Royal British Legion (West Kilburn) Ltd
· St Augustine’s CofE High School
· St Augustine’s
· St Luke’s CofE Primary School
· St Mary’s RC Primary School
· The Betsy Smith
· The Kilburn Park School Foundation
· The School of the Islamic Republic of Iran
· West Kilburn
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles