Greville Place, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.163.42.154 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Kilburn · NW6 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Street/road in London NW6



ADD A STORY TO GREVILLE PLACE
VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Ark Atwood Primary Academy:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Bayswater Rivulet:   The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Billy Fury Way, NW6:   Billy Fury Way is a path which runs alongside the railway in NW6.
Bridge House:   Canal side house in Westbourne Park
Broadhurst Gardens Meadow:   Broadhurst Gardens Community Meadow is a private area open only to the residents of the houses which surround it.
Broadhurst School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Cannon Stream:   The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Compayne Open Space:   As West Hampstead was developed, a series of private gardens were built behind the urban facades.
Decca Studios:   Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens.
Finchley Road:   Finchley Road is on the Jubilee line, between West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage and on the Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Wembley Park.
Frognal Bridge:   Where Frognal meets the Finchley Road, there is an indiscernible dip...
Goldhurst Open Space:   Maryon Wilson Green Triangle and Goldhurst Open Space lies to the rear of Fairhazel Gardens and Goldhurst Terrace.
Jacksfield:   Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area.
Kilburn Aqueduct:   Some way from the area now called Kilburn, the Kilburn Aqueduct of the Grand Union Canal spanned the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge:   Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge Farm:   Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn Grange childrens centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Kilburn Grange Park:   Kilburn Grange Park is a 3.2 hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Grange School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Kilburn High Road:   What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Park Farm:   Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells:   Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
Little Venice:   Little Venice is a picturesque area situated around the Regent's Canal in the Paddington area.
Maida Vale:   Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
Maida Vale Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Naima Jewish Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
O2 Centre:   The O2 Centre, an indoor shopping and entertainment centre was opened in 1998.
Oaklands Hall:   On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.
Paddington Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Rainbow Montessori School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 12. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Red Lion:   The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
St Augustine’s CofE High School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Augustine’s Church of England High School:   St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Augustine’s, Kilburn:   St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England.
St Eugene de Mazenod Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St George’s Catholic School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Joseph’s RC Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Mary Magdalene CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Mary’s Kilburn Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Saviour’s CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
The Grange:   The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
The Railway:   The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.
Treherne House:   Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,
Warwick Avenue:   Warwick Avenue tube station is a London Underground station near Little Venice in north-west London. The station is on the Bakerloo Line, between Paddington and Maida Vale stations.
West End House:   West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.
West End Park:   West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.
West Hampstead:   The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
West Hampstead (Overground) station:   Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Westbourne Manor:   The Manor of Westbourne
Westbourne Pond:   Westbourne Pond is marked on the 1830 Greenwood map as the source of the Westbourne River.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Kilburn High Road (1880s):   This photo was taken on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Eresby Road, which has since disappeared.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbey Gardens, NW8 · Abbey Road, NW6 · Abbey Road, NW8 · Abbots Place, NW6 · Abercorn Close, NW8 · Abercorn Place, NW8 · Abercorn Walk, NW8 · Aberdare Gardens, NW6 · Acol Road, NW6 · Ainsworth Way, NW8 · Albion Mews, NW6 · Aldsworth Close, W9 · Alma Square, Hamilton Gardens, NW8 · Alma Square, NW8 · Amberley Road, W9 · Andover Place, NW6 · Andover Place, W9 · Ashworth Road, W9 · Aubrey Place, NW8 · Banister Mews, NW6 · Barnwood Close, W9 · Belgrave Gardens, NW8 · Belsise Road, NW6 · Belsize Road, NW6 · Belsize Road, NW8 · Beswick Mews, NW6 · Biddulph Mansions, W9 · Biddulph Road, W9 · Billy Fury Way, NW3 · Billy Fury Way, NW6 · Birchington Road, NW6 · Blackburn Road, NW6 · Blenheim Road, NW8 · Blenheim Terrace, NW8 · Blomfield Road, W2 · Blomfield Road, W9 · Bolton Road, NW8 · Boundary Road, NW8 · Bransdale Close, NW6 · Bristol Gardens, W9 · Broadhurst Close, NW6 · Broadhurst Gardens, NW6 · Broadwell Parade, NW6 · Brondesbury Mews, NW6 · Buckley Road, NW6 · Cambridge Avenue, NW6 · Cambridge Court, NW6 · Cambridge Gardens, NW6 · Canfield Gardens, NW6 · Canfield Place, NW6 · Carlton Hill, NW8 · Carlton Vale, NW6 · Carlton Vale, W9 · Castellain Mansions, W9 · Castellain Road, W9 · Charfield Court, W9 · Clarendon Gardens, W9 · Clearwell Drive, W9 · Cleve Road, NW6 · Clifton Gardens, W9 · Clifton Hill, NW8 · Clifton Villas, W9 · Clive Court, W9 · Colas Mews, NW6 · Coleridge Gardens, NW6 · Compayne Gardens, NW6 · Coventry Close, NW6 · Cropthorne Court, W9 · Crown Close, NW6 · Delaware Road, W9 · Dibdin House, W9 · Douglas Court, NW6 · Doulton Mews, NW6 · Downfield Close, W9 · Drakes Courtyard, NW6 · Dunster Gardens, NW6 · Elgin Avenue, W9 · Elgin Mansions, W9 · Elgin Mews South, W9 · Eliot Mews, NW8 · Elnathan Mews, W9 · Essendine Mansions, W9 · Fairfax Place, NW6 · Fairhazel Gardens, NW6 · Formosa Street, W9 · Foscote Mews, W9 · Frognal Court, NW3 · Frognal, NW3 · Goldhurst Terrace, NW6 · Goldsmith Place, NW6 · Grange Place, NW6 · Grangeway, NW6 · Grantully Road, W9 · Greencroft Gardens, NW6 · Greville Mews, NW6 · Greville Place, NW6 · Greville Place, W9 · Greville Road, NW6 · Hamilton Terrace, NW8 · Helmsdale House, NW6 · Hermit Place, NW6 · Highfield Mews, NW6 · Hillside Close, NW6 · Hillside Close, W9 · Hilltop Road, NW6 · Kilburn Bridge, NW6 · Kilburn High Road, NW6 · Kilburn Park Road, W9 · Kilburn Place, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW8 · Kilburn Square, NW6 · Kilburn Vale, NW6 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Kings Gardens, NW6 · Kingsgate Place, NW6 · Kingsgate Road, NW6 · Lanark Mews, W9 · Lanark Road, W9 · Langtry Road, NW8 · Langtry Walk, NW8 · Lauderdale Mansions South, W9 · Lauderdale Parade, W9 · Lauderdale Road, W9 · Leith Mansions, W9 · Linstead Street, NW6 · Lithos Road, NW3 · Lithos Road, NW3 · Lord Hills Road, W2 · Loveridge Road, NW6 · Lymington Road, NW6 · Maida Vale, W9 · Mallard Close, NW6 · Manor Mews, NW6 · Maple Mews, NW6 · Marlborough Place, NW8 · Mazenod Avenue, NW6 · Metropolitan/Jubilee Lines, NW6 · Minton Mews, NW6 · Morshead Road, W9 · Mortimer Crescent, NW6 · Mortimer Crescent, NW6 · Mortimer Place, NW6 · Mutrix Road, NW6 · Netherwood Street, NW6 · Nugent Terrace, NW8 · O2 Centre Car Park, NW3 · O2 Centre, NW3 · Oxford Road, NW6 · Palmerston Road, NW6 · Pindock Mews, W9 · Plaza Parade, NW6 · Princethorpe House, W2 · Priory Road, NW6 · Priory Terrace, NW6 · Quex Mews, NW6 · Quex Road, NW6 · Randolph Avenue, W9 · Randolph Crescent, W9 · Randolph Gardens, NW6 · Randolph Mews, W9 · Randolph Road, W9 · Regents Court, W9 · Regents Plaza, NW6 · Rosedene, NW6 · Rosemont Road, NW3 · Rowington Close, W2 · Rowley Way, NW8 · Rowntree Close, NW6 · Rudolph Road, NW6 · Ryder’s Terrace, NW8 · Sandringham Court, W9 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Selby House, NW6 · Sevington Street, W9 · Springfield Lane, NW6 · Springfield Road, NW8 · Springfield Walk, NW6 · St Marys Mews, NW6 · Surrendale Place, W9 · Sutherland Avenue, W9 · Swiss Terrace, NW6 · The Arches, NW6 · The Lane, NW8 · The Terrace, NW6 · Thorngate Road, W9 · Torridon House, NW6 · Vale Close, W9 · Violet Hill, NW8 · Warrington Crescent, W9 · Warwick Avenue, W9 · Warwick Court, W9 · Waterloo Passage, NW6 · Wavel Mews, NW6 · Webheath, NW6 · Wellesley Court, W9 · Wells Court, NW6 · West End Lane, NW6 · West Hampstead Mews, NW6 · Widley Road, W9 · Woodchester Square, W2 · Woodchurch Road, NW6 · Worcester Mews, NW6 · Wymering Mansions, W9 · Wymering Road, W9 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Warwick Avenue
Facebook Page
Finchley Road
Facebook Page
Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
Maida Vale
Facebook Page
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.