Linburn House, NW6

Residential/commercial block in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.203.225.78 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Residential/commercial block · Kilburn · NW6 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Residential block



ADD A STORY TO LINBURN HOUSE
VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Al-Sadiq and Al-Zahra Schools:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Avenue Farm:   Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing.
Beckford Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Brondesbury:   Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor", a small hamlet in Middlesex.
Cannon Stream:   The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Christ Church CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Earlsfields:   Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.
Gaumont State:   The Gaumont State Cinema is a Grade II listed Art Deco theatre. While it still exists, it is no longer a cinema.
Granville Plus Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
Hampstead School:   Community school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
Islamia Primary School:   Islamia Primary School is a voluntary aided primary, Islamic faith school.
Islamia School for Girls’:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16.
Kilburn:   Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).
Kilburn Bridge Farm:   Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn Grange childrens centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Kilburn Grange Park:   Kilburn Grange Park is a 3.2 hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Grange School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Kilburn Lane Farm:   A farm existed in Kilburn Lane until the 1860s, by which time it had been disrupted by the railway line.
Kilburn Wells:   Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Kingsgate Community Centre:   Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.
Kingsgate Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Maygrove Peace Park:   On 27 April 1983, Camden Council opened Maygrove Peace Park and dedicated it as a reminder of the Council's commitment to peace.
Queen's Park:   Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
Salusbury Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Eugene de Mazenod Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Mary’s RC Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Temple Park:   Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
The Grange:   The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
The Mulberry House School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 7. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The School of the Islamic Republic of Iran:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 6 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
West End Sidings Estate:   The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Kilburn High Road (1880s):   This photo was taken on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Eresby Road, which has since disappeared.
Mill Lane, looking east (1900s):   Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Achilles Road, NW6 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Albert Road, NW6 · Albion Mews, NW6 · Aldershot Road, NW6 · Algernon Road, NW6 · Ardwick Road, NW2 · Ariel Road, NW6 · Asmara Road, NW2 · Athelstan Gardens, NW6 · Barlow Road, NW6 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Besant Road, NW2 · Birchington Road, NW6 · Bransdale Close, NW6 · Brassey Road, NW6 · Brondesbury Mews, NW6 · Brondesbury Road, NW6 · Brondesbury Villas, NW6 · Brooklands Court, NW6 · Brooksville Avenue, NW6 · Broomsleigh Street, NW6 · Buckley Road, NW6 · Burgess Hill, NW2 · Burton Road, NW6 · Callcott Road, NW6 · Canterbury Road, NW6 · Canterbury Terrace, NW6 · Canterbury Works, NW6 · Carlisle Road, NW6 · Cavendish Close, NW6 · Cavendish Road, NW6 · Charteris Road, NW6 · Claremont Road, W10 · Claremont Road, W9 · Clarence Road, NW6 · Colas Mews, NW6 · College Parade, NW6 · College Yard, NW6 · Denmark Road, NW6 · Donaldson Road, NW6 · Dornfell Street, NW6 · Douglas Court, NW6 · Douglas Road, NW6 · Drakes Courtyard, NW6 · Dudley Road, NW6 · Dunster Gardens, NW6 · Dyne Road, NW6 · Esmond Road, NW6 · Exeter Parade, NW2 · Exeter Road, NW2 · Exeter Road, NW6 · Farm Avenue, NW2 · Fordwych Road, NW2 · Fortune Green Road, NW3 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Galsworthy Road, NW2 · Garlinge Road, NW2 · Gladstone Mews, NW6 · Glastonbury Street, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Glengall Road, NW6 · Goldsmith Place, NW6 · Gondar Gardens, NW6 · Grange Place, NW6 · Grangeway, NW6 · Granville Road, NW6 · Greville Mews, NW6 · Greville Place, NW6 · Greville Place, W9 · Greville Road, NW6 · Hall Oak Walk, NW6 · Harman Close, NW2 · Harman Drive, NW2 · Hartland Road, NW6 · Hazelmere Road, NW6 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Hocroft Avenue, NW2 · Hocroft Road, NW2 · Honiton Road, NW6 · Hopefield Avenue, NW6 · Horton Avenue, NW2 · Howard Close, NW2 · Iverson Road, NW6 · Kendal Court, NW2 · Kenilworth Road, NW6 · Kilburn High Road, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, W9 · Kilburn Place, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW8 · Kilburn Square, NW6 · Kilburn Vale, NW6 · Kimberley Road, NW6 · Kingscroft Road, NW2 · Kingsgate Place, NW6 · Kingsgate Road, NW6 · Kingsley Road, NW6 · Kingswood Avenue, NW6 · Landau House, NW2 · Liddell Road, NW6 · Lincoln Mews, NW6 · Linstead Street, NW6 · Lonsdale Road, NW6 · Loveridge Mews, NW6 · Loveridge Road, NW6 · Lowfield Road, NW6 · Lyndale, NW2 · Lynton Road, NW6 · Manor Mews, NW6 · Manstone Road, NW2 · Marnham Avenue, NW2 · Mazenod Avenue, NW6 · Menelik Road, NW2 · Messina Avenue, NW6 · Mill Lane, NW2 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Minster Road, NW2 · Montrose Avenue, NW6 · Mortimer Place, NW6 · Mowbray Road, NW2 · Mowbray Road, NW6 · Mutrix Road, NW6 · Netherwood Street, NW6 · Neville Close, NW6 · Neville Road, NW6 · Norman Terrace, NW6 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Palmerston Road, NW6 · Park Mews, W10 · Peel Precinct, NW6 · Petrie Close, NW2 · Plaza Parade, NW6 · Plympton Avenue, NW6 · Plympton Road, NW6 · Princess Road, NW6 · Priory Park Road, NW6 · Quex Mews, NW6 · Quex Road, NW6 · Ranulf Road, NW2 · Ravenshaw Street, NW6 · Regents Plaza, NW6 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosedene, NW6 · Rupert Road, NW6 · Saint Cuthberts Road, NW2 · Salusbury Road, NW6 · Sarre Road, NW2 · Shoot Up Hill, NW2 · Shoot-up Hill, NW2 · Solent Road, NW6 · Somali Road, NW2 · Springfield Lane, NW6 · Springfield Walk, NW6 · St Cuthbert?s Road, NW2 · St Julians Road, NW6 · Streatley Road, NW6 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Summerfield Avenue, NW6 · Summit Court, NW2 · Swiss Terrace, NW6 · Tennyson Road, NW6 · The Arches, NW6 · The Mansions, NW6 · The Quadrant, NW6 · The Terrace, NW6 · Torbay Road, NW6 · Ulysses Place, E20 · Ulysses Road, NW6 · Vernon Court, NW2 · Victoria Mews, NW6 · Victoria Road, NW6 · Waterloo Passage, NW6 · Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 · Webheath, NW6 · Westbere Road, NW2 · Westcroft Close, NW2 · Westcroft Way, NW2 · Willesden Court, S43 · Willesden Lane, NW6 · William Dunbar House, NW6 · William Saville House, NW6 · Winchester Avenue, NW6 · Windermere Avenue, NW6 · Woodville Road, NW6 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
Kilburn
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Land ownership in Willesden (1823) FREE DOWNLOAD
Map of land ownership in the Willesden area in 1823
City of London Corporation

John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.