Linstead Street, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.84.182.112 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Aberdare Gardens · Acol Bridge Club · Ainsworth Way · Albion Mews · Aldred Road · Alvanley Gardens · Alvanley Gardens · Banister Mews · Beckford's Estate · Belsize Road · Beswick Mews · Billy Fury Way · Billy Fury Way · Billy Fury Way · Birchington Road · Blackburn Road · Bransdale Close · Broadhurst Close · Broadhurst Gardens Meadow · Broadwell Parade · Brondesbury · Brondesbury Mews · Brondesbury Park · Brooklands Court · Buckley Road · Camden Arts Centre · Cannon Stream · Canterbury House · Carlton Mews · Cedars · Cholmley Gardens · Christchurch Court · Cleve Road · Colas Mews · College Yard · Compayne Gardens · Coopers Arms · Cotleigh Road · Crediton Hill · Crown Close · Daynor House · Decca Studios · Dennington Park Road · Done Our Bit Club Ltd · Douglas Court · Doulton Mews · Drakes Courtyard · Dresden Close · Dunster Gardens · Dyne Road · Dynham Road · Earl Derby · Earlsfields · Fawley Road · Finchley Road And Frognal · Frognal Parade · Gascony Avenue · Gaumont State · Gladstone Mews · Gladys Road · Glenbrook Road · Goldsmith Place · Grange Place · Grangeway · Greville Mews · Greville Place · Greville Place · Greville Road · Hampstead Cricket Club · Hampstead Cricket Club · Harvard Court · Hemstal Road · Highfield Mews · Hillfield · Hilltop Road · Holmdale Road · Honeybourne Road · Inglewood House · Inglewood Road · Islamia Primary School · Iverson Road · Jacksfield · Kilburn · Kilburn Grange Park · Kilburn High Road (1880s) · Kilburn High Road · Kilburn Ironworks · Kilburn Place · Kilburn Priory · Kilburn Square · Kingdon Road · Kingsgate Community Centre · Kingsgate Place · Kingsgate Road · Kylemore Road · Lauriston Lodge · Liddell Road · Lillie Langtry · Linburn House · Lindfield Gardens · Linstead Street · Lithos Road · Lithos Road · Loveridge Road · Lowfield Road · Lymington Road · Manor Mews · Mapesbury Road · Maygrove Peace Park · Maygrove Road · Mazenod Avenue · McGlynn’s Bar · Medley Road · Messina Avenue · Mill Lane · Mill Lane · Mill Lane · Minton Mews · Mowbray Road · Mutrix Road · Narcissus Road · National School · Netherwood Street · North London Tavern · Oaklands Hall · Orestes Mews · Palmerston Road · Pandora Road · Plaza Parade · Poplar House · Potter's Iron Foundry · Prince Of Wales · Quex Mews · Quex Road · Railway · Regents Plaza · Ripley House · Rosedene · Rowntree Close · Rural Brondesbury (1894) · Saint Cuthberts Road · Salmon Mews · Sandwell Crescent · Sandwell House · Sherriff Road · Smyrna Road · Solent Road · Spode Walk · Springfield Lane · Springfield Walk · Sumatra Road · Swiss Terrace · The Alliance · The Arches · The Black Lion · The Black Lion · The Cock Tavern · The Good Ship · The Grange · The Kingdom · The Lower Ground Bar · The Terrace · Thorplands · Treherne House · Waterloo Passage · Wayne Kirkum Way · Webheath · Welbeck Mansions · West Cottages · West Cottages · West End Green · West End Hall · West End House · West End Lane · West End Park · West End Sidings Estate · West Hampstead · West Hampstead (Overground) station · West Hampstead Mews · West Hampstead Synagogue · Willesden Court · Woodchurch Road · Worcester Mews
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kilburn · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2015

Street/road in London NW6



VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.