Maple Mews, NW6

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before- in the area buildings are mainly post-war

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.91.121.255 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abbey Gardens · Abbey Road · Abercorn Close · Abercorn Place · Abercorn Walk · Ainsworth Way · Albert Road · Alexandra Road · Alma Square · Alpha Place · Andover Place · Andover Place · Aubrey Place · Bayswater Rivulet · Belgrave Gardens · Belsize Road · Belsize Road · Birchington Road · Blenheim Road · Blenheim Terrace · Bolton Road · Boundary Road · Cambridge Avenue · Cambridge Court · Cambridge Gardens · Cambridge Road · Canterbury Road · Canterbury Terrace · Canterbury Works · Carlton Hill · Carlton Vale · Cathedral Walk · Chichester Road · Chippenham Gardens · Clifton Hill · Coopers Arms · Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road · Coventry Close · Cropthorne Court · Denmark Road · Denning Close · Dibdin House · Earl Derby · Eliot Mews · Garden Road · Gaumont State · Gorefield Place · Granville Road · Hall Road · Hamilton Gardens · Hamilton Terrace · Hansel Road · Hill Road · Hillside Close · Hillside Close · Kilburn Bridge · Kilburn Bridge Farm · Kilburn Bridge · Kilburn High Road · Kilburn High Road (1880s) · Kilburn Park · Kilburn Park Farm · Kilburn Park Road · Kilburn Park Road · Kilburn Priory · Kilburn Priory · Kilburn Vale · Kilburn Wells · Kingsgate Road · Lanark Mews · Langford Place · Langtry Road · Langtry Walk · Lillie Langtry · Loudoun Road · Maida Vale · Maida Vale · Malvern Mews · Malvern Mews · Malvern Road · Marlborough Hill · Marlborough Place · Masefield House · McGlynn’s Bar · Melina Place · Mortimer Crescent · Mortimer Place · Nelson Close · Neville Close · Neville Road · Nugent Terrace · Oxford Road · Peel Precinct · Pentland Road · Prince Of Wales · Prince of Wales · Princess Road · Quex Road · Randolph Gardens · Regents Mews · Rowley Way · Royal British Legion (West Kilburn) Ltd · Rudolph Road · Rupert Road · Ryder’s Terrace · Springfield Road · St Augustine’s Church of England High School · St Augustine’s · St. John’s Hall Flats · Stafford Close · Stafford Road · Stuart Road · The Betsy Smith · The Cock Tavern · The Lane · The Old Bell · The Priory Tavern · Torridon House · Violet Hill · Wells Court · West Kilburn · Willesden Court · William Dunbar House · William Saville House
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kilburn Park · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6



VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KILBURN PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Kilburn Park

Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.

The area of Kilburn Park was developed in the 1850s somewhat south of the area then known as Kilburn in the fields west of the Edgware Road. The "Park" in the name was simply an invention by the developer, James Bailey.

Bailey had teamed up in a consortium of five developers who in 1850 bought 47 acres from owner the Reverend Edward Stuart. The consortium laid out roads and sewers and divided the site among themselves, subletting to smaller firms who built a few houses each.

The isolated, muddy location failed to attract many buyers and the estate remained incomplete for several decades. Properties were soon subdivided, some containing as many as six households in the 1870s.

Kilburn Park was finally complete in the late 1880s.

During the first decade of the twentieth century, the London & North West Railway planned a tunnel between Queen’s Park and Euston. While a surface line was built instead along the same route, the idea of extending south from Queen’s Park gained momentum and, in 1911, it was mooted to extend the Bakerloo Line in that direction.

Despite an aggressive building schedule which saw the line completed in just four years, only two stations – Kilburn Park and Warwick Avenue were ready on time. Services were extended to Queen’s Park twelve days later, on 11 February 1915. Due to the war, Maida Vale did not follow until 6 June.

The station building was designed by Stanley Heaps in a modified version of the earlier Leslie Green designed Bakerloo line stations with glazed terra cotta façades but without the large semi-circular windows at first floor level. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. Because of the lack of lifts, there was no longer any need for an engine room, and the new station building was built as a single story building.

At time of opening, because the First World War was underway, the entire staff were women.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.