Streatley Road, NW6

Road in/near Brondesbury

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.91.121.255 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Acol Bridge Club · Banister Mews · Billy Fury Way · Billy Fury Way · Birchington Road · Blackburn Road · Broadwell Parade · Brondesbury · Brondesbury College · Brondesbury Park · Brooklands Court · Burton Road · Callcott Road · Cannon Stream · Cavendish Place · Chatsworth Road · Christchurch Court · Clarence Road · Cleve Road · College Yard · Coopers Arms · Cotleigh Road · Coverdale Road · Crown Close · Decca Studios · Deerhurst Road · Done Our Bit Club Ltd · Dyne Road · Dynham Road · Earl Derby · Gascony Avenue · Gaumont State · Gladstone Mews · Gladys Road · Grangeway · Hemstal Road · Highfield Mews · Hilltop Road · Islamia Primary School · Iverson Road · Jacksfield · Kilburn · Kilburn Bridge · Kilburn Grange Park · Kilburn High Road · Kilburn High Road (1880s) · Kilburn Ironworks · Kilburn Park Farm · Kilburn Priory · Kilburn Priory · Kilburn Vale · Kilburn Wells · Kingsgate Community Centre · Kingsgate Road · Kylemore Road · Langtry Road · Langtry Walk · Liddell Road · Lillie Langtry · Linstead Street · Lowfield Road · Mapesbury Road · Maygrove Peace Park · Maygrove Road · McGlynn’s Bar · Medley Road · Messina Avenue · Mortimer Crescent · Mortimer Place · Mowbray Road · North London Tavern · Oaklands Hall · Plympton Avenue · Plympton Road · Prince Of Wales · Queen’s Park · Quex Road · Railway · Rosedene · Rowntree Close · Rural Brondesbury (1894) · Sandwell House · Sherriff Road · Smyrna Road · St Laurence Close · St Laurences Close · Swiss Terrace · The Betsy Smith · The Black Lion · The Cock Tavern · The Good Ship · The Grange · The Kingdom · The Old Bell · The Priory Tavern · The Salusbury · The Underground Map · West End House · West End Lane · West End Park · West Hampstead · West Hampstead (Overground) station · West Hampstead Mews · Willesden Court · Willesden Lane · Woodchurch Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Brondesbury · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Street/road in London NW6



VIEW THE BRONDESBURY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BRONDESBURY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BRONDESBURY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BRONDESBURY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BRONDESBURY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Brondesbury

Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor", a small hamlet in Middlesex.

Brondesbury was an ancient hamlet in Willesden parish owned by St.Paul’s Cathedral in medieval times.

A rural area for much of its history, some houses were built on Willesden Lane only in 1847. It was on a hill, which made it suitable for better quality housing and larger villas were built in Brondesbury. Several of them served as hostels for Belgian refugees during the First World War.

Brondesbury station opened on 2 January 1860 as Edgeware Road (Kilburn) station on the Hampstead Junction Railway. It was renamed several times: Edgware Road on 1 November 1865, Edgware Road and Brondesbury on 1 January 1872, Brondesbury (Edgware Road) on 1 January 1873 and finally Brondesbury on 1 May 1883.

A mill stood in adjacent Mapesbury, which was destroyed by fire in 1863. This incident led to the creation of a volunteer fire services in Kilburn.

In 1866 the parish of Christchurch, Brondesbury, was formed, the first new parish within the original parish of Willesden.

The first entirely new developments, at Brondesbury from the 1860s, took place in estates bordering main roads and served by the railway. Houses were aimed at merchants and professional men working in the City.

The decline in the housing market at the turn of the 20th century meant that the western part of Brondesbury was not built over until 1920, and Brondesbury Manor House remained standing until 1934.

A number of plans were put forward between 1890 and 1926 to build an underground railway along the Edgware Road, and would have seen the construction of a Tube station at Brondesbury. None of the schemes succeeded and no such line was ever built.

In the 1870s a wave of Jewish immigrated came to Brondesbury, both from East End and directly from Eastern Europe. Initially the Jews in Brondesbury walked to synagogues in St.John’s Wood or Hampstead. The first temporary synagogue was built in 1902 and a permanent one in 1905. By 1914 the Synagogue had 413 male seatholders.

Later the Jewish population moved to Willesden, Cricklewood, Dollis Hill and beyond. The Synagogue closed in 1974 and the building is now part of Muslim school.


Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Land ownership in Willesden (1823) FREE DOWNLOAD
Map of land ownership in the Willesden area in 1823
City of London Corporation

John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.