Wavel Mews, NW6

Road in/near South Hampstead

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.221.147.93 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · South Hampstead · NW6 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Street/road in London NW6



ADD A STORY TO WAVEL MEWS
VIEW THE SOUTH HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOUTH HAMPSTEAD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

South Hampstead






LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Alice House:   What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.
Bayswater Rivulet:   The Bayswater Rivulet was the original name for the Westbourne River
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Billy Fury Way, NW6:   Billy Fury Way is a path which runs alongside the railway in NW6.
Bracknell Way, NW3:   Bracknell Way is a small alleyway, usable only by pedestrians
Broadhurst Gardens Meadow:   Broadhurst Gardens Community Meadow is a private area open only to the residents of the houses which surround it.
Broadhurst School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Camden Arts Centre:   Camden Arts Centre is a place for world-class contemporary art exhibitions and education.
Cannon Stream:   The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Cock and Hoop:   The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.
Corner of Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road:   Kilburn Park Road and Shirland Road meet at a junction in the north of Maida Vale.
Decca Studios:   Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens.
Emmanuel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Essendine Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11.
Flitcroft Estate:   Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Goldhurst Open Space:   Maryon Wilson Green Triangle and Goldhurst Open Space lies to the rear of Fairhazel Gardens and Goldhurst Terrace.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Hampstead Cricket Club:   Hampstead Cricket Club moved to its Lymington Road site in 1877.
Hillfield:   By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.
Jacksfield:   Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area.
Kilburn Bridge:   Kilburn Bridge once marked the spot where the Edgware Road crossed the River Westbourne.
Kilburn Bridge Farm:   Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Kilburn Grange School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
Kilburn High Road:   What was Watling Street in earlier times, became Edgware Road and finally Kilburn High Road.
Kilburn Park:   Kilburn Park station was opened on 31 January 1915 as the temporary terminus of the Bakerloo line’s extension from Paddington.
Kilburn Park Farm:   Kilburn Park Farm was situated almost opposite the Red Lion along the Edgware Road.
Kilburn Wells:   Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.
Kingsgate Community Centre:   Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.
Kingsgate Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
Maida Vale:   Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
Maida Vale Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Naima Jewish Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
Oaklands Hall:   On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.
Poplar House:   Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Rainbow Montessori School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 12. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Red Lion:   The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road.
Ripley House:   Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
St Augustine’s CofE High School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Augustine’s Church of England High School:   St Augustine’s Church of England High School is a Voluntary Aided Church of England comprehensive school in the West London borough of Westminster, Kilburn.
St Augustine’s, Kilburn:   St Augustine’s was founded by Richard Carr Kirkpatrick in the Anglo-Catholic tradition in 1870 and listed as a Grade I building by Historic England.
St Eugene de Mazenod Roman Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St George’s Catholic School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Mary’s Kilburn Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
The Black Lion:   The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house.
The Railway:   The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.
The School of the Islamic Republic of Iran:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 6 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Wet Fish Cafe:   The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
Treherne House:   Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century,
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End Hall:   West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).
West End House:   West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.
West End Park:   West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.
West Hampstead:   The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
West Hampstead (Overground) station:   Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975.
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Westbourne Pond:   Westbourne Pond is marked on the 1830 Greenwood map as the source of the Westbourne River.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbey Road, NW6 · Abbey Road, NW8 · Abbots Place, NW6 · Aberdare Gardens, NW6 · Acol Road, NW6 · Addison Court, NW6 · Ainsworth Way, NW8 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Alexandra Road, NW8 · Alpha Place, NW6 · Alvanley Gardens, NW3 · Alvanley Gardens, NW6 · Andover Place, NW6 · Andover Place, W9 · Ashworth Road, W9 · Avenue Mansions, NW3 · B505, NW6 · Banister Mews, NW6 · Belgrave Gardens, NW8 · Belsise Road, NW6 · Belsize Road, NW6 · Belsize Road, NW8 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Beswick Mews, NW6 · Biddulph Mansions, W9 · Biddulph Road, W9 · Billy Fury Way, NW3 · Billy Fury Way, NW6 · Birchington Road, NW6 · Blackburn Road, NW6 · Bolton Road, NW8 · Bracknell Gardens, NW3 · Bracknell Way, NW3 · Bransdale Close, NW6 · Broadhurst Close, NW6 · Broadwell Parade, NW6 · Buckingham Mansions, NW6 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Cambridge Avenue, NW6 · Cambridge Court, NW6 · Cambridge Gardens, NW6 · Cambridge Road, NW6 · Cannon Hill, NW3 · Cannon Hill, NW6 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Carlton Vale, NW6 · Carlton Vale, W9 · Cathedral Walk, NW6 · Chesterford Gardens, NW3 · Chichester Road, NW6 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Cleve Road, NW6 · Colas Mews, NW6 · Coleridge Gardens, NW6 · Compayne Gardens, NW6 · Cotleigh Road, NW6 · Coventry Close, NW6 · Crediton Hill, NW6 · Crown Close, NW6 · Daynor House, NW6 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Dibdin House, W9 · Dobson Close, NW6 · Douglas Court, NW6 · Doulton Mews, NW6 · Dresden Close, NW6 · Dynham Road, NW6 · Elgin Mansions, W9 · Elgin Mews South, W9 · Essendine Mansions, W9 · Essendine Road, W9 · Fairfax Place, NW6 · Fairfax Road, NW6 · Fairhazel Gardens, NW6 · Fawley Road, NW6 · Finchley Road, NW6 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Frognal Lane, NW3 · Frognal Parade, NW3 · Gascony Avenue, NW6 · Gladys Road, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Godson Yard, NW6 · Goldsmith Place, NW6 · Gorefield Place, NW6 · Grange Place, NW6 · Grantully Road, W9 · Greenaway Gardens, NW3 · Greencroft Gardens, NW6 · Greville Mews, NW6 · Greville Place, NW6 · Greville Place, W9 · Greville Road, NW6 · Hansel Road, NW6 · Harben Road, NW6 · Harvard Court, NW6 · Helmsdale House, NW6 · Hemstal Road, NW6 · Hermit Place, NW6 · Highfield Mews, NW6 · Hilgrove Road, NW6 · Hillside Close, NW6 · Hillside Close, W9 · Hilltop Road, NW6 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Honeybourne Road, NW6 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood House, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Iverson Road, NW6 · Jade Terrace, NW6 · Kilburn Bridge, NW6 · Kilburn High Road, NW6 · Kilburn Park Road, NW6 · Kilburn Park Road, W9 · Kilburn Place, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW6 · Kilburn Priory, NW8 · Kilburn Square, NW6 · Kilburn Vale, NW6 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Kings Gardens, NW6 · Kingsgate Place, NW6 · Kingsgate Road, NW6 · Kylemore Road, NW6 · Lanark Mews, W9 · Lanark Road, W9 · Langland Gardens, NW3 · Langtry Road, NW8 · Langtry Walk, NW8 · Lauderdale Road, W9 · Leith Mansions, W9 · Liddell Road, NW6 · Lindfield Gardens, NW3 · Linstead Street, NW6 · Lithos Road, NW3 · Lithos Road, NW3 · Lowfield Road, NW6 · Lymington Road, NW3 · Lymington Road, NW6 · Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 · Maida Vale, W9 · Mallard Close, NW6 · Manor Mews, NW6 · Maple Mews, NW6 · Marlborough Mansions, NW6 · Marston Close, NW6 · Masefield House, NW6 · Maygrove Road, NW6 · Mazenod Avenue, NW6 · Medley Road, NW6 · Messina Avenue, NW6 · Metropolitan/Jubilee Lines, NW6 · Minton Mews, NW6 · Morshead Road, W9 · Mortimer Crescent, NW6 · Mortimer Crescent, NW6 · Mortimer Place, NW6 · Mutrix Road, NW6 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · Nelson Close, NW6 · O2 Centre Car Park, NW3 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Oxford Road, NW6 · Palace Court, NW3 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Pentland Road, NW6 · Plaza Parade, NW6 · Princess Road, NW6 · Priory Road, NW6 · Priory Terrace, NW6 · Quex Mews, NW6 · Quex Road, NW6 · Randolph Avenue, W9 · Randolph Gardens, NW6 · Regents Plaza, NW6 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosedene, NW6 · Rosslyn Mansions, NW6 · Rowntree Close, NW6 · Rudolph Road, NW6 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Sherriff Road, NW6 · Smyrna Road, NW6 · Solent Road, NW6 · Spode Walk, NW6 · Springfield Lane, NW6 · Springfield Walk, NW6 · St Johns Court, NW3 · St Marys Mews, NW6 · Stafford Close, NW6 · Stafford Road, NW6 · Stuart Road, NW6 · Studholme Court, NW3 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Swiss Terrace, NW6 · The Lane, NW8 · The Terrace, NW6 · Torridon House, NW6 · Wavel Mews, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · Wellesley Court, W9 · Wells Court, NW6 · West Cottages, NW6 · West End Lane, NW6 · West Hampstead Mews, NW6 · Woodchurch Road, NW6 · Worcester Mews, NW6 · Wymering Mansions, W9 · Wymering Road, W9 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Finchley Road
Facebook Page
Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
Maida Vale
Facebook Page
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
Warwick Avenue
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.