Stone Yard power station was here originally - the power station for Hampstead Borough.
The supply of electricity had been managed initially by the Council's predecessor the Hampstead Vestry through its Electric Lighting Committee. Hampstead Metropolitan Borough Council Electricity Undertaking was authorised under the Hampstead (London) Electric Lighting Order 1892. The foundation stone was laid in 1892 and a Central Supply Station and Head Offices were built in 1893 at the Vestry's Stoneyard,
Supply began in 1894 of single-phase high-tension alternating current. From 1921 the bulk supply of electricity was taken from Saint Marylebone Borough Council, and Lithos Road
ceased to generate in 1922.
The Borough Council Bathing Station, also in Lithos Road
, closed in 1960
Nowadays in Lithos Road
, the Lithos Road
Estate is there, built in 1991 with high and low rise blocks bordered on each side by railway tracks. Designed by Pollard Thomas and Edwards with curved brick elevations to cut down on railway noise.
orchard has fruit trees, including apples, pears, quince and medlar.