Print-friendly version of this page The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park
Before construction started in 1874, the Queen’s Park
Estate was proving very popular - 1500 applications from prospective tenants had been received.
By 1881 there were five classes of property, the rents varying according to the size and number of rooms. Queen’s Park
was a success The Queen’s Park
Estate was sold to Paddington Council in 1964 and it is the only Estate of its type within Westminster.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
User unknown/public domain
It was built from 1874 by the Artisans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company. The architecture of that estate of some 2000 small houses is distinctively Gothic-revival, with polychrome brickwork, pinnacles and turrets along the bigger roads.
It retains First Avenue
, Second Avenue
etc up to Sixth Avenue
, and originally had streets A-P. The street names have been made into full words, (Alperton Street
, Barfett Street
, Caird Street
, Droop Street
, Embrook Street, Farrant Street
, Galton Street
, Huxley Street, Ilbert Street
, Kilravock Street
, Lothrop Street
, Marne Street
, Nutbourne Street
, Oliphant Street
, Peach Street).
It was on this estate that the first QPR footballers had their homes.