Abingdon Road, N3

Road in/near Finchley Central

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Finchley Central · N3 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Abingdon Road runs north east from Long Lane, roughly parallel with the North Circular Road.

Now a development of typical Finchley suburbia, Abingdon Road was laid out in a narrow field backed by a footpath which ran from Bow Lane to Tarling Road past a gravel pit in Victorian times.

Tudor Primary School, now at the end of the road, was built between Abingdon Road and the footpath, cutting it off.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Finchley Central

Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.

Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.

The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary's Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ's College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.

To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as 'The Naked Lady', but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.

Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway's line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground's Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.

The station was originally named 'Finchley and Hendon'.

Akiva School · Allandale Avenue · Amberden Avenue · Avenue House Grounds · Basing Way · Bibsworth Road · Borrowdale Close · Bow Lane · Briar Close · Briarfield Avenue · Brighton Road · Chalgrove Primary School · Chamberlain Road · Chaplin Square · Charter Way · Chaville Way · Chessington Avenue · Claigmar Gardens · Claverley Villas · Cobley’s Farm · College Terrace · Crescent Rise · Crescent Road · Crooked Usage · Crowder Close · Cyprus Avenue · Cyprus Gardens · Dickens Avenue · Dollis Avenue · Dolman Close · Dorset Mews · Dudley Road · Edge Hill Avenue · Elm Court · Etchingham Park Road · Fairholme Close · Freston Park · Glebe Road · Glebelands Close · Gordon Road · Grass Farm · Gravel Hill · Great North Way · Green Lane · Grenville Close · Grove Avenue · Haslemere Avenue · Haslemere Gardens · Heatherdene Close · Hendon Avenue · Hervey Close · Highview Gardens · Hillcrest Gardens · Hillcrest Gardens · Holders Hill Drive · Holly Park · Howes Close · Kingswood Park · Latymer Gardens · Leo Baeck College · Links View · Long Lane Pasture · Long Lane · Lovers Walk · Manor Cottages Approach · Manorside Primary School · Millers Yard · Moat Crescent · Montpelier Road · Nether Close · New Oak Road · Newstead Children’s Centre · North Circular Road · Nursery Avenue · Oak Lane · Oakfield Road · Our Lady of Lourdes RC School · Pardes House Grammar School · Pardes House Primary School · Park Cottages · Parklands Drive · Parkside · Ploughmans Walk · Popes Drive · Primrose Close · Priory Close · Pumphandle Path · Queenswood Park · Rathgar Close · Rawlins Close · Regents Park Road · Riverside Gardens · Saint Paul’s Way · Sellers Hall Close · Seymour Road · Simms Gardens · Spencer Close · Spencer Court · Squires Lane · St Michael’s Close · St Theresa’s Catholic Primary School · Station Close · Strathmore Gardens · Sylvan Avenue · Tangle Tree Close · Taunton Drive · The Dick Turpin · The Mead · The Ridgeway · Tillingbourne Gardens · Tillingbourne Way · Tudor Primary School · Village Road · Vineyard Grove · Wickliffe Avenue · Wilmot Close · Windsor Open Space · Windsor Road · Wootton Grove ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page


West Finchley
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.