Ada Street, E8

Road in/near Dalston Kingsland, existing between the 1830s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.204.168.209 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · Dalston Kingsland · E8 ·
MAY
3
2020

Ada Street was named for one of the Pritchard family, local landowners.

The Pritchards owned an estate covering this land in the early nineteenth century. The northern limit of the estate was Duncan Road with Sheep Lane on its eastern limit.

Some streets, laid out around 1831 or later, were named after the first names of family members, including Ada Street, Emma Street and Marian Street.

Broadway Market, at the western end of Ada Street, was from about 1800 known as Margaret Place. In 1831, to the north of the Cat and Mutton Bridge, it was renamed Pritchards Place and then Duncan Place. Later it was called Broadway with the ’Market’ added in the late 19th century.


Citation information: The Streets of London – The Underground Map
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Dalston Kingsland

Kingsland railway station was first opened on this site in 1850, but was replaced by Dalston Junction in 1865. The current station was opened in 1983.

Kingsland gets its name from the hunting grounds of a Tudor-era royal residence at Newington Green – "King’s Lands".

It was originally a small roadside settlement centred on the Old North Road near to the junction with Dalston Lane.

In 1672, Kingsland had 28 householders assessed for hearth tax. It expanded in the 18th century along Kingsland Road and by 1724 had five inns. The local parishes lobbied Parliament in 1713 for the right to set up a Turnpike Trust, to pay for the necessary maintenance to the North Road. Gates were installed at Kingsland and Stamford Hill to collect the tolls. Larger scale development began in 1807, and a new estate was created on Lamb Farm, to the south and west of the Dalston Lane junction.

The ’Lock Hospital’ for lepers was founded in 1280 by the City of London, as one of ten located on the main roads from the City. From 1549, the hospital was administered by St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and treated infectious diseases. By 1669, there were six wards for women only since male patients were sent to Southwark. The hospital was rebuilt in 1720, but closed in 1760. At the closure of the hospital, local people petitioned to keep the hospital chapel open. In poor condition, it was demolished in 1846.

Since the opening of Dalston Junction station, the area has become known as Dalston, which was originally further east.
Print-friendly version of this page