Agar Place, NW1

Road in/near Camden Town, existing between the 1840s and now

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abbey Tavern · Agar Grove · Agar Place · Agar Town · Albert Street · Alexander the Great · Arlington Road · Augustus House · Augustus Street · Barker Drive · Bartholomew Road · Bayham Place · Bayham Street · Baynes Street · Baynham Place · Beaconsfield Street · Beatrice · Belushi’s · Bergholt Mews · Black Heart · Bonny Street · Broadfield Lane · Broadfield Lane · Bruges Place · Buck Street · Bucks Head · Busby Place · Busby Place · Camden High Street · Camden Lock Place · Camden Lock · Camden Mews · Camden Park Road · Camden Park Road · Camden Road · Camden Road · Camden Square · Camden Street · Camden Terrace · Camden Town · Camden Town (1920) · Camden Town 1920s. · Camley Street · Camley Street · Canal Reach · Carol Street · Castle Mews · Cathcart Hill · Cedar Way · Chester Close North · Chester Court · Church Avenue · Church Avenue · Clarence Way · Cliff Road Studios · Cliff Road · Cliff Villas · Clock View Crescent · Cobham Mews · Collard Place · College Grove · College Place · Crofters Way · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Cumberland Market · Cumberland Terrace · Delancey Passage · Delancey Street · Drovers Way · Earl of Camden · Early Mews · East Yard · Edinboro Castle · Elm Friars Walk · Farrier Street · Fifty Five Lounge · Fred White Walk · Freight Lane · Freight Lane · George IV · Georgiana Street · Gifford Street · Gilbeys Yard · Gloucester Crescent · Gloucester Cresent · Gloucester Gate Mews · Godwin Court · Goodinge Close · Grafton Yard · Granary Street · Greenland Place · Greenland Road · Greenland Street · Handyside Street · Handyside Street · Harrington Street · Haven Street · Hawley Crescent · Hawley Cresent · Healey Street · Inverness Street · Ivor Street · James Cameron House · Jamestown Road · Jeffrey’s Place · Jeffrey’s Street · Jeffreys Place · Jim Veal Drive · King’s Terrace · Kings Terrace · Koko · Lewis Street · Leybourne Road · Lockside Lounge · London Greek Orthodox Cathedral - All Saints · Lower Carriage Drive · Lyme Street · Lyme Terrace · Maiden Lane · Mandela Street · Marquis Road · Mary Terrace · Middle Yard · Miller Street · Mornington Street · Mornington Terrace · Murray Mews · Murray Street · New Clock Tower Place · North Villas · Northpoint Square · O’Reilly’s · Outram Place · Oval Road · Oxford Arms · Pandian Way · Pandian Way · Park Village Mews · Park Village West · Parkway · Patshull Place · Plender Street · Ploughmans Close · Postal area N1C · Postal area NW1 · Postal zone NW1 8** · Postal zone NW1 9** · Pratt Mews · Pratt Street · Prince Albert · Prince of Wales Road · Proud Camden Horse Hospital · Prowse Place · Quinns · Randell’s Road · Randell’s Road · Randolph Street · Reachview Close · Reapers Close · Redhill Street · Regal Lane · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal Towpath · Regent’s Park Terrace · Regent’s Place Plaza · Regents Canal towpath · Regents Park · Regent’s Canal towpath · River Fleet · Rochester Mews · Rochester Place · Rochester Road · Rochester Square · Rochester Terrace · Rossendale Way · Rousden Street · Royal College Street · Rufford Street Mews · Saint Augustine’s Road North West · Saint Pancras Way · Saint Paul’s Crescent · Saint Pauls Mews · Shillibeers Bar & Grill · Signmakers Yard · Slatterys Bar · Spread Eagle · St Katharines Precinct · St Martins Almshouses · St Martins Close · St Pancras Cruising Club · St Pancras Way · St Paul’s Crescent · St Pauls Mews · St. Augustine’s Road · St. Pancras Way · Stable Street · Stratford Villas · Stucley Place · The Blues Kitchen · The Camden Head · The Constitution · The Dublin Castle · The Electric Ballroom · The Golden Lion · The Grafton · The Grand Union · The Hawley Arms · The Ice Wharf · The Lock Tavern · The Lord Stanley · The Marr · The Monarch · The Newmarket Arms · The Old Eagle · The Sheephaven Bay · The Stables Market · The Star of Kings · The Stillery · The World’s End · The York & Albany P.H · Tiber Gardens · Underhill Street · Undersolo · Unicorn · Water Lane · Weavers Way · West Yard · Whitcher Place · Wilmot Place · Wrotham Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Camden Town · NW1 ·

Agar Place is a survivor of Agar Town.

The stretch of countryside between the future site of Agar Place and the future site of King’s Cross Station was leased by ’Counsellor’ William Agar, QC in 1816.

A quarter of a century later, he started to cover his fields with tightly-packed rows of two- and four-roomed workers’ cottages. Agar Town, as it became known, turned into a notorious slum area, crowded with the poor of St Giles whose homes were destroyed when New Oxford Street was formed. Agar Town was built over in turn by the Midland Railway.

Agar Place stood slightly apart from the rest of Agar Town and survives to this day.

Main source

Gillian Bebbington's 1972 work on street name derivations

Citations and sources

The free encyclopedia

Links and further reading

Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Camden Town

Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.

Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative clothing.

It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.

The Regent's Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.

Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.

At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.
Print-friendly version of this page


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.