Ainger Road, NW3

Road in/near Primrose Hill, existing between 1869 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.232.55.175 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Primrose Hill · NW3 ·
MARCH
14
2019

Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century.


The name commemorates Thomas Ainger, vicar of St John’s from 1841 until his death in 1863, who provided clinics, schools and churches to go with the new houses in the area.

George Pownall was the builder/developer responsible for developing the street. In 1868 Pownall proposed to build several new roads. After building in Albert Park and Oppidans Road, Ainger Road was built in 1869. By 1879, Pownall had built 38 houses, three stables and a workshop.


Citation information: London Street Names (book)
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Primrose Hill




Print-friendly version of this page