Print-friendly version of this page Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s.
To the immediate east of the street, St George’s Fields was a burial ground from 1763, and later used for archery, games and as allotments. The burial ground was closed in 1854. The land was owned by St George’s Church in Hanover Square, which sold it to developers in 1967 who left a few tombstones in place.
East of Albion Street and south of Connaught Street
, the St George’s Fields group of flats is a development by Design 5 from the early 1970s. They are set back in beautifully planted gardens. The mature plantings inside the estate enhance views from Connaught Street
, Stanhope Place
and Albion Gate, and the scale of the new buildings is such that they do not disrupt the historic townscape.
The community of 300 flats is set in over two acres of woodland gardens. The Ziggurat pyramid style buildings incorporate five levels of large balconies each with hanging gardens.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch
was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street
, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.