Arundel Street, WC2R

Road in/near Temple, existing between 1678 and now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Temple · WC2R ·

Arundel Street runs from the Strand to Temple Place.

Before the construction of the Victoria Embankment between 1865 and 1870, it ran down to the River Thames.

The street was laid out on land previously occupied by Arundel House and its gardens. This was the property of the Howard family, Dukes of Norfolk and was knocked down by the earl of Arundel in 1678. Arundel Street, Howard Street, Norfolk Street and Surrey Street were all built after Arundel House was demolished

The Whittington Club, formed 1847, stood on the corner with Water Street. The Arundel Hotel was built at the southern end in the nineteenth century. It billed itself as "the largest private hotel in London".

Main source: Category:Streets in the City of Westminster - Wikipedia
Further citations and sources




Temple is a London Underground station in the City of Westminster, on the Victoria Embankment. It is the nearest tube station for King's College London and the London School of Economics.

The name comes from the Knights Templar, via Inner Temple and Middle Temple, which are situated nearby.

The station was opened in the parish of St Clement Danes on 30 May 1870 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR; now the District and Circle lines) when the railway extended its line from Westminster to Blackfriars. The construction of the new section of the MDR was planned in conjunction with the building of the Victoria Embankment and was achieved by the cut and cover method of roofing over a shallow trench.

Temple is the only name to be shared by a station of the Paris Metro and a station of the London Underground.
Print-friendly version of this page