Aubrey Walk, W8

Road in/near Kensington, existing between 1841 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.204.191.31 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Kensington · W8 ·
JANUARY
1
2013

Aubrey Walk runs west of Campden Hill Road at the top of Campden Hill.


On the north side there is the ornate parish church of St George’s Campden Hill with a rather unusual pointed squat tower. The houses on the north side vary architecturally from three-storey brick Victorian terraced houses to 1930s-style houses painted white on the first floor. On the western part of the street the houses on the north side are mainly brick with various architectural styles, several with attractive roof gardens. On the south side of the street there is the attractive new development, Wycombe Square (get full details from Knight Frank).

The Campden Hill lawn tennis club is on the south side, which is also over an old reservoir for Thames Water. At the far west end of the street are some modern terraced houses some with built-in garages. At the end of the street stands Aubrey House which is one of the largest private houses in Kensington and has a blue plaque referring to four famous former residents. It also has one of the largest private gardens in Kensington. There is a marvellous view here of St. John’s Church in Lansdowne Crescent to the north and this is about the highest vantage point in the area.

There is a northern leg leading to Aubrey Walk - Aubrey Road.

In Tudor times, there was a 20 acre farm called Stonehills south of what is know Holland Park Avenue. Originally it was owned by Sir Walter Cope, who sold it to Robert Horseman in 1599. Eventually it came into the possession of the Lloyd Family who sold it in 1823 to Joshua Flesher Hanson, a substantial developer in the Notting Hill and Holland Park area. He built Campden Hill Square.

Aubrey Walk was originally an approach road to Aubrey House. Its name was originally Notting Hill Grove but it was renamed Aubrey Walk in 1893. When Campden Hill Square was constructed, coach houses and stables were built in Aubrey Walk. These were later converted into residential accommodation.

Properties in Aubrey Walk were built by Hanson and by a coal merchant called John Cowmeadow. He constructed Nos. 2-6 (even) Aubrey Walk. It seems he went out of business shortly afterwards.

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

Kensington

Kensington is a district of West London, England within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, located west of Charing Cross.

The focus of the area is Kensington High Street, a busy commercial centre with many shops, typically upmarket. The street was declared London's second best shopping street in February 2005 thanks to its range and number of shops.

The edges of Kensington are not well-defined; in particular, the southern part of Kensington blurs into Chelsea, which has a similar architectural style. To the west, a transition is made across the West London railway line and Earl's Court Road further south into other districts, whilst to the north, the only obvious dividing line is Holland Park Avenue, to the north of which is the similar district of Notting Hill.

Kensington is, in general, an extremely affluent area, a trait that it now shares with its neighbour to the south, Chelsea. The area has some of London's most expensive streets and garden squares.

Kensington is also very densely populated; it forms part of the most densely populated local government district (the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea) in the United Kingdom. This high density is not formed from high-rise buildings; instead, it has come about through the subdivision of large mid-rise Victorian and Georgian terraced houses (generally of some four to six floors) into flats.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.