Avenue Road, N12

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.95.23.35 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Albert Street · Alexandra Grove · Anastasia Mews · Arden Grange · Ashbourne Close · Ashbourne Court · Avondale Avenue · Beech Lawns · Birkbeck Road · Boxworth Close · Bramber Road · Brook Meadow · Budd Close · Burtonhole Lane · Capel Close · Cardrew Avenue · Cardrew Close · Charnwood Place · Chesterfield Road · Chesterfield Road · Chiddingfold · Church Path · Church Way · Cissbury Ring North · Clements Close · Cliveden Close · Coathouse Farm · Coleridge Road · Coniston Close · Copwood Close · Cottonham Close · Croft Mews · Croft Mews · Dale Grove · Dorie Mews · Dunbar Court · Elephant Inn · Fairfield Close · Finchley Catholic High School · Finchley Park · Finchley United Services Club · Folkington Corner · Folly Brook · Frederick’s Place · Friary Road · Friary Way · Gainsborough Court · Gainsborough Road · Gaumont · Glenhurst Road · Golfside Close · Grange Avenue · Grangeway · Green Bank · Guildown Avenue · Hall Street · Haughmond · Hemingford Close · Highwood Avenue · Holden Avenue · Holden Road · Hoptree Close · Hughes Close · Hutton Grove · Inkwell Close · Lambert Mews · Lambert Road · Laurel View · Laurel Way · Limes Avenue · Linkside · Little Cedars · Lodge Lane · Lorian Close · Lynton Avenue · Mayfield Avenue · Moss Hall · Nether Street · Netherfield Road · North Finchley · North Middlesex Golf Club · Northwood Gardens · Offham Slope · Okehampton Close · Pamela Court · Park Court · Percy Road · Poynings Way · Pycombe Corner · Pyecombe Corner · Riverside Walk · Riverside Walk · Rodmell Slope · Rogers Walk · Rosebank Close · Saddlescombe Way · Safari Club · Singleton Scarp · Sonia Gardens · Southover Pre School · Springfield Close · Squirrels Close · St Andrew’s Close · St Barnabas · St Michael’s Close · St. Andrew’s Close · Station Approach · Station Close · Steynings Way · Sussex Ring · Tally Ho · The Bohemia · The Garth · The Oaks · The Watch · Theobald’s Avenue · Theobalds Avenue · Tillingham Way · Tommy Flynn’s · Toolans · Torrington Avenue · Torrington Close · Torrington Park · Valley Avenue · Victoria Grove · Welbeck Close · Westbury Grove · Westbury Road · Whittington Mews · Winifred Place · Wolstonbury · Woodhouse College · Woodhouse Road · Woodside Avenue · Woodside Grange Road · Woodside Grove · Woodside Lane · Woodside Park · Woodside Park Club · Woodside Park Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Woodside Park · N12 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Avenue Road is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area.



VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE WOODSIDE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Woodside Park

Woodside Park is a place in the London Borough of Barnet.

It is very varied in character. The area to the east of the tube station consists predominantly of large Victorian houses, many of which have been converted into flats.

The area grew because of Woodside Park station. This was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Torrington Park on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR).

The station was on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. The station was renamed within a month of opening, and again in 1882.

After the 1921 Railways Act created the Big Four railway companies the line was, from 1923, part of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER). The section of the High Barnet branch north of East Finchley was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. The station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940 and, after a period where the station was serviced by both operators, LNER services ended in 1941. The station still retains much of its original Victorian architectural character today.

The north-western part of the area, which can also be regarded as the part of Totteridge in N12 rather than N20, is sometimes called Woodside Park Garden Suburb and consists of semi-detached or detached 3 to 4 bedroom houses built in the 1950s. It includes the Woodside Park Club.

The eastern boundary of the Garden Suburb is the Dollis Brook and the southern boundary is the Folly Brook. To the south of this Suburb is an area of 1920s and 1930s houses, where many of the roads are named after places in Sussex, such as Sussex Ring and Cissbury Ring.

Between the Garden Suburb and the Northern Line is an area originally of Victorian housing. Many of the houses, including the former residence of Spike Milligan, have been pulled down and replaced by modern housing or blocks of flats. Much of this area consists of a council estate where Emma Bunton grew up.

There is a small amount of commercial activity around the mini roundabout at Chanctonbury Way, which was originally the main shopping area for Woodside Park, providing basic services such as a post office, a butcher and an ironmonger. Since the creation of North Finchley shopping parade, many of the original shops have closed down and have been replaced by specialised businesses.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.