Ayres Street, SE1
Road in/near Borough, existing between the 1710s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Borough tube station is a London Underground station in the London Borough of Southwark. It is on the Northern Line, between Elephant and Castle and London Bridge stations.
Ayres Street was formerly known as Whitecross Street.
Ayres Street changed name in tribute to Alice Ayres - also immortalised in Postman’s Park in the City. Ayres lost her life whilst saving three children from a fire in Union Street
John Strype mentions Whitecross Street in his 1720 ’Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster’. He called it "a pretty clean Street, but ordinary Built and Inhabited." It is unknown how long before 1710 that the street was built.
The White Cross Cottages were built in 1890 by social reformer Octavia Hill and designed by Elijah Hoole, as model social housing. They include a hall with interior decoration by Walter Crane.
The dense grain of local small buildings was in part eroded after the Second World War. As redevelopment occurred, larger blocks, occupied by single uses, replaced the Georgian and Victorian houses, shops and warehouses. This is particularly evident in the area between Ayres Street and Southwark Bridge
User unknown/public domain
The Borough (of Southwark) is an area of the London Borough of Southwark situated 1.5 miles east south-east of Charing Cross.
The area has been called The Borough
since the 1550s, to contrast it with the neighbouring City, in later years to distinguish it from the larger Metropolitan Borough of Southwark and now to distinguish it from the much larger London Borough of Southwark.
Much of the area around the Tate Modern gallery and the Globe Theatre is now referred to by the historic name of Bankside.
In common with much of the South Bank, The Borough has seen extensive regeneration in the last decade. Declining light industry and factories have given way to residential development, shops, restaurants, galleries and bars. The area is in easy walking distance of the City and the West End.
The Borough is generally an area of mixed development, with council estates, office developments, social housing and gated communities side by side with each other.
Borough station was opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the first deep-level tube railway, the City and South London Railway, and was rebuilt in the 1920s when the tunnels were enlarged.