Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
The NW1 end of Baker Street
was home to Sherlock Holmes.
The section of Baker Street
north of the Marylebone Road
is where the fictional 221B Baker Street
would have been located. The street runs south from Regent’s Park, the junction with Park Road
, parallel to Gloucester Place
Also fictionally, Basil of Baker Street
, The Great Mouse Detective, Sherlock Hound, Danger Mouse, Sexton Blake, Carland Cross and James Black of Case Closed have all resided along the road.
Residents of the prestigious mansion block, Chiltern Court
, on the Regent’s Park end of Baker Street
include the novelists Arnold Bennett and H.G Wells, who are commemorated with a blue plaque.
In 1835 the sculptor James Fillans came to live and work from 82 Baker Street
The street is served by the London Underground by Baker Street
Underground station, one of the world’s oldest surviving underground stations. Next door is Transport for London’s lost property office.
In 1835, the first wax museum of Madame Tussauds
was opened on Baker Street
. The museum moved, just around the corner, to Marylebone Road
is named after builder William Baker, who laid out the street in the 18th century.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street
and South of Regents Park
. Edgware Road
forms the Western boundary. Portland Place
forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street
and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove
). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.