Barb Mews, W6

Road in/near Hammersmith

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.95.131.208 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hammersmith · W6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Barb Mews is a through road off Shepherds Bush Road.


The Mews is part of the Brook Green Conservation Area.

The original purpose of the Mews was to provide stable accommodation for the main houses on Shepherds Bush Road. Nowadays the properties are used for a mixture of commercial and residential purposes.

A few high explosive bombs fell onto Brook Green in World War II, not far from the Mews.


Main source: Barb Mews | Everchanging Mews
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Hammersmith

Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.

One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadway.

Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.

The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.

Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway after its large encompassing roundabout.

The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.

The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court.
Print-friendly version of this page