Bayswater Road, W2

Road in/near Bayswater, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.170.81.210 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Bayswater · W2 ·
MARCH
17
2019

Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park.

Bayswater Road
Like Oxford Street to the east, Bayswater Road follows the course of the old Roman road linking London with Silchester.

The eastern end of Bayswater Road starts at the Marble Arch junction, and in the west continues into Notting Hill Gate. It is mostly within the City of Westminster but a small portion of the road’s western end lies in Kensington and Chelsea.

By 1828, the main road (then known as Uxbridge Road) facing Kensington Gardens, had been built up between St Petersburg Place and Porchester Terrace. Along the west side of Black Lion Lane there were houses as far as the corner of Moscow Road and more spacious villas, at first called Westbourne Terrace, farther north almost reaching Pickering Place at the southern end of Westbourne Green. The east side of Black Lion Lane was still open, apart from a few large houses at the Uxbridge Road end, and villas lined Porchester Terrace only as far as the corner of Craven Hill, which itself had cottages only on the north side. Fields survived along the Uxbridge Road from St. Agnes Villas to Bayard’s Watering Place, whence Elm Lane led northward, with some houses between it and the stream, along the line of the later Craven Terrace to the east end of Craven Hill.

By 1830, the area around Black Lion Lane was known as Bayswater.

In 1862 a ’great and aristocratic town’ had grown up, faster than all other suburbs, during the past ten years. Houses were said to be better built and sited than before and, being near Kensington Gardens, to have a decided edge over "the solemn and obnubilated grandeur of the ill drained Belgravian flats". Wealthy residents, who were quick to arrive, in 1862 ranged from East India merchants to people who had moved from formerly more fashionable quarters.

The fictional upper-middle class Forsyte family live in John Galsworthy’s The Forsyte Saga lived on the Bayswater Road.

Building covered the whole of Bayswater by 1865.

In 1885, Bayswater was nicknamed ’Asia Minor’. Indian fruits and vegetables were on sale in local shops for former military and administrative professionals who had lived in the subcontinent. Other populations which found themselves here late in the nineteenth century were Jews and Greeks.

Flat began to appear in place of houses in the twentieth century and by the 1960s, hotels were moving in.

Since the 1980s Bayswater has been the focus of a wave of settlement by people from the Middle East.

On Sunday mornings, over one hundred artists display their original works of art on the edge of Hyde Park close to the Italian Gardens.


Main source: British History Online (Paddington: Bayswater)
Further citations and sources


xxx

Bayswater Road
User unknown/public domain


 

Bayswater

Bayswater is one of London's most cosmopolitan areas - also one of London's biggest concentration of hotels.

Notably, there is a significant Arab population, a large number of Americans, a substantial Greek community attracted by London's Greek Orthodox Cathedral and the area is also a centre of London's Brazilian community.

Architecturally, the biggest part of the area is made up of Victorian mansion blocks, mostly, although not exclusively, divided up into flats. There are also purpose built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a there is large Council Estate, the 800 flat Hallfield Estate, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun and now largely sold off. There are some garden squares in the area.

Queensway and Westbourne Grove are busy High Streets, with a very large number of ethnic restaurants.

Bayswater tube station lies between Notting Hill Gate and Paddington.

The station was opened 1 October 1868, just 5 years after the London Underground started. It was renamed several times: to Bayswater (Queen's Road) & Westbourne Grove in 1923, to Bayswater (Queen's Road) in 1933.
Print-friendly version of this page