Originally Roman, the Bishop’s Gate was rebuilt by the Hansa merchants in 1471 in exchange for St
eelyard privileges. Its final form was erected in 1735 by the City authorities and demolished in 1760. This gate often displayed the heads of criminals on spikes.
thoroughfare forms part of the A10 and the section to the north of the site of the original Gate is the start of Roman Ermine St
reet, also known as the ’Old North Road’.
was originally the location of many coaching inns which accommodated passengers setting out on the Old North Road. These, though they survived the Great Fire of London, have now all been demolished, though the modern White Hart pub, to the north of St
Botolph’s at the junction with Liverpool St
reet, is the successor of an inn of the same name. Others included the Dolphin, the Flower Pot, the Green Dragon, the Wrestlers, the Angel and the Black Bull. The latter was a venue for the Queen’s Men theatrical troupe in the 16th century.
The name of an inn called the Catherine Wheel (demolished 1911) is commemorated by Catherine Wheel Alley which leads off Bishopsgate
to the east. The 17th century facade of Sir Paul Pindar’s House, demolished to make way for Liverpool St
reet railway station in 1890, on Bishopsgate
was also preserved and can now be seen in the Victoria and Albert Museum. In the 18th century this grand residence became a tavern called Sir Paul Pindar’s Head; another notable venue was the London Tavern (1768-1876). Also demolished (but then re-erected in Chelsea) was the old Crosby Hall, at one time the residence of Richard III and Thomas More.
is the site of Dirty Dick
’s (a pub over 200 years old), the Bishopsgate
Institute, and many offices and skyscrapers.