Bow Community Centre, E3

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with housing mainly dating from the 1960s

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Aberavon Road · Ackroyd Drive · Addington Road · Alice Lane · Allen Road · Alma Terrace · Annie Besant Close · Antill Road · Arbery Road · Armagh Road · Arnold Road · Baldock Street · Beale Place · Beale Road · Bellmaker Court · Belton Way · Benworth Street · Birdsfield Lane · Birdsfield Lane · Blondin Street · Bow · Bow Arts Lane · Bow Common Lane · Bow Community Centre · Bow Enterpise Centre · Bow Triangle Business Centre · Bow Triangle Trading Estate · Bow Wharf Grove Road · Bow Wharf · Bradwell Street · British Street · Brokesley Street · Brymay Close · Bunsen Street · Burdett Road · Burwell Walk · Candy Street · Cantrell Road · Cardigan Road · Caxton Grove · Cedar Close · Celandine Close · Celandine Close · Cherrywood Close · Chiltern Road · Chisenhale Road · Clinton Road · Clinton Road · College Terrace · Copperfield Road · Copperfield Road · Corby Way · Cotall Street · Cranbrook Street · Cruden House · Dimson Crescent · Douro Street · Driffield Road · Eagling Close · East Cross Route · Eastside Mews · Eleanor Street · Ellesmere Road · Empress · English Street · Eric Street · Estate Road · Ewart Place · Exmoor House · Fairfoot Road · Ford Street · Four Seasons Close · Garrison Road · Greenway · Grove Road · Grove Road · Guerin Square · Gunmakers Lane · Gunmakers Lane · Hamlets Way · Hartfield Terrace · Hartley Street · Haven Mews · Haverfield Road · Hawthorn Avenue · Hereford Road · Hewlett Road · Hitchin Square · Hornbeam Square · Huddart Street · Ivanhoe House · Jebb Street · Joseph Street · Kenilworth Road · Knapp Road · Lake View Estate · Lauriston Centre · Lawrence Close · Lawton Road · Legion Terrace · Lichfield Road · Lime House Cut · Limehouse Cut · Limehouse Cut · Lockhart Street · Locton Green · Long Wall · Longnor Road · Louisa Close · Lyal Road · Mallory Close · Maplin Street · Matching Court · Mccullum Road · Meath Bridge · Meath Bridge · Meath Crescent · Medhurst Close · Medway Buildings · Medway Road · Merchant Street · Metropolitan Close · Midlothian Road · Mile End · Mile End Park · Millennium Park · Mohawk House · Morgan Street · Mornington Grove · Mostyn Grove · Norman Grove · Old Ford Nature Reserve · Old Ford Road · Old River Lea · Olga Primary School · Ollerton Green · Ordell Road · Pancras Way · Pioneer Close · Portia Way · Postal area E3 · Postal zone E3 4** · Postal zone E3 5** · Providence Close · Pulteney Close · Railway Arches · Ranwal Close · Redwood Close · Regent Square · Remus Road · Rhondda Grove · Robeson Street · Roman Road · Roman Road · Roman Road · Ropery Street · Rosebank Gardens · Rounton Road · Royal Inn on The Park · Royal Victor Place · Ruston Street · Ruthven Street · Saint Paul’s Way · Saint Stephen’s Road · Saxon Road · Schoolbell Mews · Selwyn Road · Shafton Mews · Shelmerdine Close · Shetland Road · Smart Street · Southern Grove · Spanby Road · Springwood Close · St Pauls Way · St Stephens Road · Stafford Road · Strahan Road · Sutherland Road · Swaton Road · Sycamore Avenue · Tamar Close · Teviot Street/Mallory Close · The Big Breakfast · The Cedars · Thomas Fyre Drive · Tiber Close · Tidworth Road · Tomlin’s Grove · Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park · Treby Street · Tredegar Mews · Tredegar Square · Tredegar Terrace · Trellis Square · Turner’s Road · Turners Road · Tweed Walk · Twine Terrace · Upper N Street · Ursula Gould Way · Usk Street · Vernon Road · Victoria Park · Victoria Park Studios · Village Tap · Vivian Road · Wager Street · Waterside Close · Weatherley Close · Wellington Way · Wendon Street · Wennington Road · Wetherell Road · Whitethorn Street · Whitman Road · Whitton Walk · William Place · Willow Tree Close · Wraxall Road · Wren House · Wrexham Road · Wright’s Road · Wrights Road · Zealand Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Mile End · E3 ·

Bow Community Centre is one of the streets of London in the E3 postal area.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Mile End

Mile End is recorded in 1288 as ’La Mile ende’ and means ’the hamlet a mile away’.

It was a mile distance from Aldgate in the City of London as reached by the London to Colchester road.

In around 1691 Mile End became known as Mile End Old Town because a new unconnected settlement to the west and adjacent to Spitalfields had taken the name Mile End New Town.

Excavations have suggested there were very few buildings before 1300.

Mile End Road moved to its present-day alignment after the foundation of Bow Bridge in 1110. In the medieval period, it was known as ‘Aldgatestrete’, as it led to the eastern entrance to the City of London at Aldgate. The area running alongside Mile End Road was known as Mile End Green, and became known as a place of assembly for Londoners, as reflected in the name of Assembly Passage.

For most of the medieval period, this road was surrounded by open fields on either side. Speculative developments existed by the end of the 16th century and continued throughout the 18th century. It developed as an area of working and lower-class housing, often occupied by immigrants and migrants new to the city.

Mile End was hit by the first V-1 flying bomb to strike London. On 13 June 1944, this ’doodlebug’ impacted next to the railway bridge on Grove Road.

Mile End underground station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel & Bow Railway. Electrified services started in 1905. The first services were provided by the District Railway (now the District line); the Metropolitan line followed in 1936 In 1988 this section of the Metropolitan was renamed the Hammersmith & City line.

In 1946 the station was expanded and rebuilt by the Chief Architect of London Underground, Stanley Heaps and his assistant Thomas Bilbow, as part of the Central line eastern extension, with services starting on 4 December 1946.
Print-friendly version of this page


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.