Print-friendly version of this page Bow LaneNorth Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
, which was named for its shape, was constructed in 1814 after the enclosure of Finchley Common.
The route of the lane was originally part of a lengthy track leading across from Muswell Hill through Coldfall Wood to the northern portion of Church End.
Opposite Cobley’s Farm
it diverged, the northern portion ultimately doubling back to the Great North Road from Fallow Corner in the form of a "bow," and the western portion proceeding across the fields of the farm to Church End, reaching Ballards Lane
by the side of Willow Lodge. The northern of these two branches was known as Fallow Lane.
User unknown/public domain
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.