Brick Lane, E2
Road in/near Shoreditch, existing between the 1890s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Shoreditch is a place in the London Borough of Hackney. It is a built-up district located 2.3 miles (3.7 km) north east of Charing Cross.
The northernmost section of Brick Lane
lies within the E2 postcode.
Formerly called Whitechapel Lane, Brick Lane
was named after the brick manufacture that took place in the area after the 15th century.
In 1890, the northernmost section was extended northwards across Bethnal Green Road
as far as Columbia Road
, absorbing Tyssen Street
and Turk Street.
In the 1950s, this north section was truncated below Chambord Street
An old form of the name is Soersditch
, and the origin is lost, though early tradition connects it with Jane Shore, the mistress of Edward IV.
It was the site of an Augustinian priory in the 12th Century until its dissolution in 1539. In 1576 the first playhouse (theatre) in England was opened, and in 1577 The Curtain theatre was opened in the middle of what is Curtain Road
During the 17th Century, wealthy traders and Huguenot silk weavers moved to the area, establishing a textile industry centered to the south around Spitalfields Market. The area declined along with the textile industry and from the end of the 19th Century to the 1960s, Shoreditch was a by-word for crime, prostitution and poverty.
Today Shoreditch is a busy and popular district, noted for its large number of art galleries, bars, restaurants, media businesses and an urban golf club.
Shoreditch High Street
station officially opened to the public on 27 April 2010 with services running between Dalston Junction and New Cross or New Cross Gate. The station replaced nearby Shoreditch, which closed on 9 June 2006. The next station to the south is Whitechapel
and to the north is Hoxton