Bridge Approach was once a busy thoroughfare connecting Regents Park Road
with the world.
Regents Park RoadThe Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.
was a major east west route from central London to the east was very busy. To the north lay Bridge Street.
In the 1960s, two children were knocked down and killed at the railway bridge. As a result the bridge was closed to traffic and one of the five entry points into Primrose Hill was blocked to cars whilst still allowing pedestrian access. The road was renamed Bridge Approach.
Regents Park Road
was no longer a through route. The massive decrease in traffic flows encouraged restaurants and shops to settle and form a more vibrant Primrose Hill. Although they have many attributes, the presence of busy through routes ultimately prevents the formation of a relaxed village neighbourhood which Primrose Hill has susequently become.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|ADD A STORY TO BRIDGE APPROACH|
|VIEW THE CHALK FARM AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CHALK FARM AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CHALK FARM AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CHALK FARM AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE CHALK FARM AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.
Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.
It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.
Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.
In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.
Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.
Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9
, edited by C R Elrington.
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors
· Castle Mews
· Chalcot Crescent
· Chalcot Square
· Chalk Farm
· Chalk Farm
· Chalk Farm Parade
· Chalk Farm Road
· Church Avenue
· Church Avenue
· Clarence Way
· Coity Road
· Collard Place
· Elton Place
· Erskine Mews
· Erskine Road
· Eton College Road
· Eton Hall
· Eton Rise
· Eton Road
· Eton Villas
· Farrier Street
· Gilbeys Yard
· Haverstock School
· Haverstock School
· Hawley Primary School
· Healey Street
· Holy Trinity and Saint Silas CofE Primary School
· Juniper Crescent
· Lewis Street
· Maitland Park Road
· Maitland Park Villas
· Mead Close
· Modbury Gardens
· Negozio Classica
· Primrose Hill Road
· Primrose Hill School
· Prince of Wales Road
· Provost Road
· Regent’s Park Road
· Rhyl Primary School
· River Fleet
· Saint George’s Terrace
· Sharples Hall Street
· Sir Richard Steele
· Steele?s Mews South
· Steele?s Road
· The Albert
· The Engineer
· The Enterprise
· The Fiddlers Elbow
· The Lansdowne
· The Queens
· The Village School
· Truro Street
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London
London Underground map from 1921.
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York
London Underground map from 1908.
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)