Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Add your own contribution to Postal area WC2B.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
|VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE HOLBORN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn). The name Holborn may be derived from the Middle English hol
for hollow, and bourne
, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.
It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.
The Holborn District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard, Saffron Hill, Hatton Garden, Ely Rents and Ely Place, St Andrew Holborn Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.
In the 18th century, Holborn was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil
, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.
Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars
. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.
A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.
Hatton Garden, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.
In the early 21st century, Holborn has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway was converted into an hotel in 1999.
Holborn station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway. Situated on the Piccadilly and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.
The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway)
. Kingsway was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn through an area of cleared slums to Strand. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.
Courtauld Institute of Art
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: The Courtauld Institute of Art is a self-governing college of the University of London specialising in the study of the history of art.Courtauld Institute of Art
: Higher education institutionsHolborn
: Holborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.Lincoln’s Inn Fields
: Lisle’s Tennis Court
: Lisle’s Tennis Court was a building off Portugal Street in Lincoln’s Inn Fields in London. London School of Economics and Political Science
: Higher education institutionsSt Clement Danes CofE Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.University of the Arts London
: Higher education institutionsBlackmoore Street (1902)
: This photo depicts Blackmoor Street which was in the Drury Lane slum, with Clare Court on the left Houghton Street (1906)
: A greengrocer's on the corner of Houghton Street and Clare Market (behind The Strand) in 1906 just before demolition.New Inn Passage (1901)
: The corner of Houghton Street and New Inn Passage taken on a 1901 photo just prior to the clearence of the area for the Aldwych-Kingsway improvement scheme.Wych Street
: Wych Street was a street in London, roughly where Australia House now stands on Aldwych. It ran west from the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand to a point towards the southern end of Drury Lane.
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Aldwych, WC2B
· Atkin Building, WC1R
· Beaumont Buildings, WC2B
· Bedford Row, WC1R
· Bell Yard, WC2A
· Carey Street, WC2A
· Catton Street, WC1R
· Clare Market, WC2A
· Clement’s Inn, WC2R
· Coptic Street, WC1A
· Crown Court, WC2B
· Dane Street, WC1R
· Drury Lane, WC2B
· Eagle Street, WC1R
· Field Court, WC1R
· Fisher Street, WC1R
· Fulwood Place, WC1V
· Gate Street, WC2A
· Grays Inn Place, WC1R
· Grays Inn Square Chambers, WC1R
· Grays Inn Square, WC1R
· Great Turnstile, WC1V
· Hand Court, WC1V
· High Holborn, WC1V
· High Holborn, WC2A
· High Holborn, WC2B
· Holborn, WC1V
· Houghton Square, SW9
· Houghton Street, WC2A
· Houghton Street, WC2B
· Jockeys Fields, WC1R
· Kean Street, WC2B
· Kemble Street, WC2B
· Kingsgate Street, WC1R
· Kingsway, WC2A
· Kingsway, WC2B
· Lincoln’s Inn Fields, WC2A
· Lincolns Inn Fields, WC2A
· Lion Court, WC1V
· Little Turnstile, WC1V
· Martlett Court, WC2B
· Montreal Place, WC2R
· Museum Street, WC1A
· New Oxford Street, WC1A
· New Oxford Street, WC2H
· New Square Passage, WC2A
· Newton Street, WC2B
· Orange Street, WC1R
· Peabody Trust Estate, SE21
· Peabody Trust Estate, SE24
· Portsmouth Street, WC2A
· Portugal Street, WC2A
· Princeton Street, WC1R
· Procter Street, WC1V
· Proctor Street, WC1V
· Raymond Buildings, WC1R
· Red Lion Square, WC1R
· Red Lion Street, WC1R
· River Terrace, W6
· Sandland Street, WC1R
· Sardinia Street, WC2A
· Serle Street, WC2A
· Sheffield Street, WC2A
· Sicilian Avenue, WC1A
· South Square, WC1R
· South Square, WC1X
· Southampton Row, WC1V
· St Clement’s Passage, WC2A
· St Clements Lane, WC2A
· Stedham Place, WC1A
· Strand, WC2B
· Tavistock Street, WC2B
· The Arcade, WC2B
· The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court, WC2R
· The Strand, WC2R
· Verulam Buildings, WC1R
· Warwick Court, WC1R
· West Central Street, WC1A
· Whetstone Park, WC2A
· Wild Court, WC2B
· Yorkshire Grey Yard, WC1R