From fruit and veg to Froo Tan Vetch
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Add your own contribution to Postal area WC2E.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
|VIEW THE COVENT GARDEN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE COVENT GARDEN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE COVENT GARDEN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE COVENT GARDEN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE COVENT GARDEN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Covent Garden is a district in London on the eastern fringes of the West End, between St. Martin's Lane and Drury Lane.
It is associated with the former fruit and vegetable market in the central square, now a popular shopping and tourist site, and the Royal Opera House, which is also known as Covent Garden
. The district is divided by the main thoroughfare of Long Acre, north of which is given over to independent shops centred on Neal's Yard and Seven Dials, while the south contains the central square with its street performers and most of the elegant buildings, theatres and entertainment facilities, including the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and the London Transport Museum.
Though mainly fields until the 16th century, the area was briefly settled when it became the heart of the Anglo-Saxon trading town of Lundenwic
. After the town was abandoned, part of the area was walled off by 1200 for use as arable land and orchards by Westminster Abbey, and was referred to as 'the garden of the Abbey and Convent'. The land, now called the Covent Garden
, was seized by Henry VIII, and granted to the Earls of Bedford in 1552. The 4th Earl commissioned Inigo Jones to build some fine houses to attract wealthy tenants. Jones designed the Italianate arcaded square along with the church of St Paul's. The design of the square was new to London, and had a significant influence on modern town planning, acting as the prototype for the laying-out of new estates as London grew.
A small open-air fruit and vegetable market had developed on the south side of the fashionable square by 1654. Gradually, both the market and the surrounding area fell into disrepute, as taverns, theatres, coffee-houses and brothels opened up; the gentry moved away, and rakes, wits and playwrights moved in.
By the 18th century it had become a well-known red-light district, attracting notable prostitutes. An Act of Parliament was drawn up to control the area, and Charles Fowler's neo-classical building was erected in 1830 to cover and help organise the market. The area declined as a pleasure-ground as the market grew and further buildings were added: the Floral Hall, Charter Market, and in 1904 the Jubilee Market. By the end of the 1960s traffic congestion was causing problems, and in 1974 the market relocated to the New Covent Garden Market about three miles (5 km) south-west at Nine Elms. The central building re-opened as a shopping centre in 1980, and is now a tourist location containing cafes, pubs, small shops, and a craft market called the Apple Market, along with another market held in the Jubilee Hall.
Covent Garden tube station is a Grade II listed building and was opened by Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway on 11 April 1907, four months after services on the rest of the line began operating on 15 December 1906.
Like the rest of the original GNP&BR stations, the street level station building and platform tiling was designed by Leslie Green. The station building is a classic red 'Oxblood' building which has two elevations fronting onto the end of James Street and Long Acre. The platform wall was tiled with two shades of yellow and white tiling which formed geometric shapes along with three blank spaces to incorporate the station name. As part of TFL's investment programme, the ageing tiling dating back from the station's opening was replaced in 2010 in a like-for-like basis, retaining the look and feel of the platforms.
Covent Garden station is one of the few stations in Central London for which platform access is only by lift or stairs and often becomes congested due to the Covent Garden area's popularity with tourists. To control congestion on Saturday afternoons, when the surrounding shopping areas are at their busiest, the station was previously exit only to avoid the risk of dangerous overcrowding of the platforms, but following replacement of the lifts, this restriction has been lifted. There are four lifts which give access to street level, although a final flight of stairs from the lifts to the platforms means that the station is wheelchair inaccessible. Alternatively, there is an emergency spiral staircase of 193 steps (The equivalent to a 15 storey building). During the lift journey a recorded announcement is played asking passengers to have their tickets/passes ready as they exit the lifts and advising where to turn for Covent Garden's market.
Image: Chris Ross
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: From fruit and veg
to Froo Tan VetchDe Hems
: De Hems has become a base for London’s Dutch community, serving bitterballen and frikandellen.Royal Opera House
: The foundation of the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden lies in the letters patent awarded by Charles II to Sir William Davenant in 1660, allowing Davenant to operate one of only two patent theatre companies (The Duke's Company) in London.St Josephs Catholic Primary School
: Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.The Royal Ballet School
: Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19.Wild Street (1902)
: Wild Street, in the Covent Garden area, was on the edge of the Kingsway improvements which would utterly transform the area in the following years.
Bedford Chambers, WC2E
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Bedford Street, WC2E
· Bedford Street, WC2R
· Betterton Street, WC2H
· Bow St Covent Garden, WC2E
· Bow Street, WC2B
· Bow Street, WC2E
· Broad Court, WC2B
· Bucknall Street, WC2H
· Burleigh Street, WC2E
· Carriage Hall, WC2E
· Catherine Street, WC2B
· Central Arcade, WC2E
· Ching Court, WC2H
· Covent Garden Piazza, WC2E
· Covent Garden, WC2E
· Covent Garden, WC2H
· Dryden Street, WC2E
· Dudley Court, WC2H
· Earlham Street, WC2H
· Endell Street, WC2H
· Excel Court, WC2H
· Exeter Street, WC2E
· Floral Street, WC2E
· Garrick Street, WC2E
· Great Queen Street, WC2B
· Hanover Place, WC2E
· Henrietta Street, WC2E
· James Street, WC2E
· Jubilee Hall Jubilee Market, WC2E
· Jubilee Market Hall Tavistock Court, WC2E
· Jubilee Market, WC2E
· King Street, WC2E
· Langley Court, WC2E
· Langley Street, WC2H
· Litchfield Street, WC2H
· Long Acre, WC2E
· Macklin Street, WC2B
· Maiden Lane, WC2E
· Maple Leaf Walk, SW11
· Mercer Street, WC2H
· Monmouth Street, WC2H
· Neal Street, WC2H
· Nottingham Court, WC2H
· Odhams Walk, WC2H
· Parker Mews, WC2B
· Parker Street, WC2B
· Rose Street, WC2E
· Russell Chambers, WC2E
· Russell Street, WC2B
· Russell Street, WC2E
· Saint Giles High Street, WC2H
· Seven Dials Court, WC2H
· Shaftesbury Avenue, W1D
· Shelton Street, WC2B
· Shelton Street, WC2H
· Shorts Gardens, WC2H
· Slingsby Place, WC2E
· Southampton Street, WC2E
· Southampton Street, WC2R
· Stukeley Street, WC2B
· Tavistock Street, WC2E
· The Market Piazza, WC2E
· The Market The Piazza, WC2E
· The Market, WC2E
· The Piazza, WC2E
· Thomas Neal Centre, WC2H
· Thomas Neal’s shopping centre, WC2H
· Tower Court, WC2H
· Tower Street, WC2H
· Upper Saint Martin’s Lane, WC2H
· Upper St Martin’s Lane, WC2H
· Upper St Martins Lane, WC2H
· Wardour Street, W1D
· Wellington Street, WC2E
· Wellington Terrace, W2
· West Street, WC2H
· Wild Street, WC2B