Brompton Road, SW1X

Road in/near Knightsbridge, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.214.179 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Knightsbridge · SW1X ·
December
23
2018

Brompton Road lies partly in Westminster and partly in Kensington and Chelsea.


As an official name, Brompton Road did not exist until 1863. Until 1935 Brompton Road extended only as far as the junction with Thurloe Place, after which Fulham Road began.

There was always a lot of traffic on this old road, which linked London with parts of Surrey. From 1726 to 1826 the road was maintained by the Kensington Turnpike Trustees and was a turnpike.

Before this, the Kensington parish boundary enclosed a thin corridor encompassing Brompton Road up to Knightsbridge Green on the north, and up to the lane later to become Sloane Street on the south.

Until the 1760s, little development had occurred on the road with the land around being horticultural with nurseries.

Development commenced in 1763 in several places along both sides of the eastern part of Brompton Road, as far as Yeoman’s Row on the south and Brompton Square on the north, during the 1763-4 London building boom in London.

The street became home to the Brompton Oratory and much later, Harrods.

Brompton Road Underground station closed on 30 July 1934 because of a lack of traffic following the opening of new entrances at Knightsbridge station.


Main source: Brompton Road: Introduction | British History Online
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Knightsbridge

Knightsbridge was originally a small hamlet, between the villages of Chelsea (Chelsey), Kensington (Kensing town) and Charing. In the time of Edward I, the manor of Knightsbridge appertained to the abbey of Westminster. It was named after a crossing of the River Westbourne, which is now an underground river.

Knightsbridge is notable as an ultra-expensive residential area, and for the density of its upmarket retail outlets. Fourteen of Britain's two hundred most expensive streets are in the district.

Knightsbridge is leafy, especially considering its location at the heart of London. It is home to many of the world's richest people, and has some of the highest property prices in the world. In February 2007, the world's then most expensive apartment at One Hyde Park, sold off plan for £100,000,000, and was bought by a Qatari Prince, and another apartment at the same place in February 2009, of almost the same price was bought by an Afghani Prince.

The principal landowners in the area are the Duke of Westminster and Earl Cadogan. The two areas of aristocratic landholdings can be distinguished: red-brick Queen Anne Revival buildings are mostly to be found on the Cadogan Estates, whereas white stucco-fronted houses are mostly found on the Grosvenor Estate, built by Thomas Cubitt.

Knightsbridge station opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line). When opened, the platforms were accessed in the standard manner by four lifts and an emergency staircase connecting to parallel passageways and bridges to midway along the platforms. The original station building designed by Leslie Green was located on Brompton Road a short distance west of its junction with Knightsbridge and Sloane Street.
Print-friendly version of this page