Depicted in 1676 as an unnamed road on the south side of the ’Spittlefield’ running between Crispin St
reet and Red Lion St
reet. By the beginning of the 18th century it had acquired the name Little Paternoster and later Paternoster Row.
It was extended west to Bishopsgate
in the latter half of the 18th century, the new extension cutting through Crispin St
reet, Gun St
reet and Duke St
reet (later Fort St
reet). This new section was called Union St
The north side of the street was (and to some extent still is) dominated by the buildings of Spitalfields Market. It was renamed Brushfield St
reet on 25 February 1870 in honour of Thomas Brushfield, a Justice of the Peace, trustee of the London Dispensary in Fournier St
reet and a prominent Vestryman. Thomas Tempany, owner of Mr. Tenpenny’s Lodging House in Gun St
reet, was recorded as residing at 6 Paternoster Row before the name-change.
The Prince Albert pub stood at 21 Brushfield St
Much of Brushfield St
reet (except the 19th century buildings of Spitalfields Market) was altered in the 1920s - the London Fruit exchange was built on the south side in 1928 and further market buildings were constructed on the north side around the same time. These latter buildings were demolished in the 1990s and were replaced 2001-5 by the large office and retail development known as Bishop’s Square.
Several 18th century buildings still survive on the south side of the street and most are now restaurants or cafes. The rear frontages of the Bishopsgate
Institute (1895) are visible at the western end.