Bulstrode Street, W1U
Road in/near Marylebone, existing between 1763 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Bulstrode StreetMarylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
runs from Welbeck Street
in the east to Thayer Street
in the west.
is named after Bulstrode Park in Buckinghamshire which was in the ownership of the first Duke of Portland and was the family seat until 1810.
was laid out around 1763 and was built up under an agreement taken out by William Franks with fairly large houses, three of which survive. The western portion, on the Hinde estate, was laid out in the later 1780s as William Street, retaining its separate identity until 1928, when the whole street was renumbered.
The large houses were well-adapted to institutional use and by the end of the nineteenth century several were occupied as flats and nursing homes.
The clothing trade was also notable.
The William Street section was largely residential but had businesses such as a watchmaker and a surgical-boot maker. It was not among the better-class streets, and in 1911 was judged unsuitable for a nursing home because of nearby pubs and the ‘rather noisy and disreputable’ character of Marylebone Lane
The north side of the original Bulstrode Street
is now taken up by the largely purpose-built Marylebone Hotel.
User unknown/public domain
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.