Avenue Farm

Farm in Golders Green, existing until 1930

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Farm · Golders Green · NW2 · Contributed by The Underground Map
April
19
2016
Click to enlarge image.


Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing.

Latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, it was closed in 1932.

Its access track finally became Farm Avenue.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

VIEW THE GOLDERS GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOLDERS GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOLDERS GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOLDERS GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOLDERS GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Go to Cricklewood

Cricklewood

Cricklewood is a district whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, and the southwestern part is the London Borough of Brent and the southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.

There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its pleasure gardens. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace.

Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new Brent Sidings, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Railway Terraces. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm, Grove) in 1880. The station became the terminus for the Midland Railways suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St Peter's replaced a tin chapel in 1891, (closed 1983 subsequent to rebuilding in the 1970s). The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.

By the 1890s houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. . Cricklewood Broadway had become retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton road, was laid out in 1907, along with Caddington, and Dersingham Road, the year of the opening of Golders Green underground station. With the introduction of trams in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established. The first of these was the Phoenix Telephone Co. in 1911 (later moved to the Hyde), quickly followed by Handley Page Ltd, aircraft manufacturers, from 1912 until 1917, at 110 Cricklewood Lane.

Cricklewood also became the home for the first Smith Crisps factory replacing the omnibus depot at Crown Yard. Having moved into new premises in Cricklewood Lane the yard was taken over by Clang electrical goods Ltd. From 1929 to 1933 the area was finally built over.

Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses, at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned industries have left.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Golders Green:   Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green crossroads:   The name Golders Green apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road. In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.
Golders Green crossroads:   The name Golders Green apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road. In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.
Golders Green Hippodrome:   The Golders Green Hippodrome, was opened in 1913. Built next to Golders Green station, it was built as a 3000 seat music hall by Bertie Crewe.
Golders Lodge:   The villas in their wooded grounds, which gave Golders Green its special character, disappeared rapidly with the growth of suburban housing after the extension of the Underground; they included Alba Lodge, Gloucester Lodge, the Oaks, and Grove House.
Grove Farm:   Grove Farm changed usage between a farm and a house before being overwhelmed by suburbia.
Hodford Farm:   The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill.
Hoop Lane Cemetery:   In 1895 a Jewish Cemetery was established on Hoop Lane, with the first burial in 1897.
Ionic Cinema:   The Ionic Cinema was built in the early days of Golders Green's suburban development.
Saint Alban's church:   The church of St Alban, Golders Green, was built as a chapel-of-ease to All Saints’, Childs Hill, in 1910. It became the centre of a new parish taken from that of All Saints in 1922.
The Oaks:   The Oaks was a large house situated on North End Road (later Golders Green Road)
Woodstock House:   Woodstock House was a large stuccoed house, dating from the early 19th century in Golders Green.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Golders Green, looking south (1905):   This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years' land speculation is already taking place.
Looking towards Temple Fortune (1905):   The name Golders Green apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road. In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Accommodation Road, NW11 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Alba Gardens, NW11 · Alberon Gardens, NW11 · Alyth Gardens, NW11 · Ambrose Avenue, NW11 · Armitage Road, NW11 · Ashbourne Avenue, NW11 · Ashbourne Parade, NW11 · Ashbourne Way, NW11 · Asmara Road, NW2 · Basing Hill, NW11 · Beechcroft Avenue, NW11 · Belmont Parade, NW11 · Bridge Lane, NW11 · Brookside Road, NW11 · Caddington Road, NW2 · Candle Court Nursing Home, NW2 · Chandos Way, NW11 · Chatham Close, NW11 · Cheviot Gardens, NW2 · Church Walk, NW2 · Clarendon Court, NW11 · Clifton Gardens, NW11 · Cloister Road, NW2 · Corringham Road, NW11 · Courtleigh Gardens, NW11 · Cranbourne Gardens, NW11 · Crewys Road, NW2 · Cricklewood Lane, NW2 · Dersingham Road, NW2 · Devonshire Place, NW2 · Dingwall Gardens, NW11 · Dunstan Road, NW11 · Eastside Road, NW11 · Elmcroft Avenue, NW11 · Elmcroft Crescent, NW11 · Elmcroft Cresent, NW11 · Etrona Buildings, NW2 · Farm Avenue, NW2 · Farm Walk, NW11 · Finchley Road, NW11 · Finchley Road, NW2 · Garth Road, NW2 · Gloucester Gardens, NW11 · Golders Gardens, NW11 · Golders Green Crescent, NW11 · Golders Green Cresent, NW11 · Golders Green Road, NW11 · Golders Green, NW11 · Golders Manor Drive, NW11 · Granville Road, NW2 · Greenfield Gardens, NW2 · Gresham Gardens, NW11 · Hallswelle Parade, NW11 · Hallswelle Road, NW11 · Hamilton Road, NW11 · Hampstead Way, NW11 · Hanstead Garden, NW11 · Harman Drive, NW2 · Harmony Close, NW11 · Hayes Crescent, NW11 · Heather Gardens, NW11 · Heathgate, NW11 · Helenslea Avenue, NW11 · Hendon Way, NW2 · Hermitage Lane, NW2 · Highcroft Gardens, NW11 · Highfield Avenue, NW11 · Highfield Road, NW11 · Hocroft Road, NW2 · Hodford Road, NW11 · Hoop Lane, NW11 · Hurstwood Road, NW11 · James Close, NW11 · Leeside Crescent, NW11 · Leeside Cresent, NW11 · Lichfield Road, NW2 · Limes Avenue, NW11 · Llanelly Road, NW2 · Llanvanor Road, NW2 · Lyndale Avenue, NW2 · Meadway Gate, NW11 · Menelik Road, NW2 · Middleton Road, NW11 · Monks Way, NW11 · Monkville Parade, NW11 · Montpelier Rise, NW11 · Nant Road, NW2 · North End Road, NW11 · Oakfields Road, NW11 · Park Drive, NW11 · Pattison Road, NW2 · Portsdown Avenue, NW11 · Portsdown Mews, NW11 · Powis Gardens, NW11 · Princes Parade, NW11 · Princes Park Avenue, NW11 · Prospect Road, NW2 · Ranulf Road, NW2 · Ridge Hill, NW11 · Rodborough Road, NW11 · Rotherwick Road, NW11 · Russell Gardens, NW11 · Russell Parade, NW11 · Shannon Close, NW2 · Sinclair Green, NW11 · Sinclair Grove, NW11 · Somali Road, NW2 · St Albans Lane, NW11 · St Albans Vestry, NW11 · St Andrews Road, NW11 · St Georges Road, NW11 · St Judes Churches, NW11 · St Marys Road, NW11 · Station Forecourt, NW11 · Sunnyside, NW2 · Templars Avenue, NW11 · Temple Fortune Lane, NW11 · Temple Fortune Parade, NW11 · Temple Gardens, NW11 · The Drive, NW11 · The Orchard, NW11 · The Ridgeway, NW11 · The Riding, NW11 · The Vale, NW11 · Wellgarth Road, NW11 · Wentworth Road, NW11 · Wessex Gardens, NW11 · West Heath Avenue, NW11 · West Heath Court, NW11 · West Heath Drive, NW11 · Westcroft Close, NW2 · White Lodge, NW11 · Woodlands Close, NW11 · Woodlands, NW11 · Woodstock Avenue, NW11 · Woodstock Road, NW11 · Worley Court, NW2 · Wycombe Gardens, NW11 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kilburn
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.