Chamberlayne Farm

Farm in/near Queens Park Estate, existed between 1700 and 1900

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Farm · Queens Park Estate · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
MAY
7
2015


Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.

Its was separated from its farmland by the building of the railway in the 1850s with a bridge over the new railway built. Immediately to the east of the bridge was the Lower Farm.

Its dairy business expanded greatly after the 1864 Act of Parliament which made it illegal to keep cattle within the City of London. Although by the late 1800s residential development had greatly reduced the farmland, still in the 1890s many sheep and pigs were raised in the district.

The Chamberlain farmland was built over in the period 1894 - 1907.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Chamberlayne Farm news feed:
Add a comment to the Chamberlayne Farm news feed.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Chamberlayne Farm:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 16:00 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 16:00 GMT   
IP:
1:1
Post by LDNnews: Ladbroke Grove
Could You Foster a Child?
Find out more at Kensington Town Hall information evening on 14 September

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hffoster1708.htm
Brenda Jackson
Brenda Jackson   
Added: 13 Aug 2017 21:39 GMT   
Expires: 12 Sep 2017 21:39 GMT   
IP: 94.13.78.193
1:2
Post by Brenda Jackson: Granville Road, NW6

My Gt Gt grandparents lived at 83 Pembroke Road before it became Granville Road, They were married in 1874, John Tarrant and Maryann Tarrant nee Williamson. Her brother George Samuel Williamson lived at 95 Pembroke Road with his fwife Emily and children in the 1881 Census Apparently the extended family also lived for many years in Alpha Place, Canterbury Road, Peel Road,
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 9 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT   
Expires: 23 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT   
IP:
1:3
Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road
New Prostate Treatment Pioneered at Charing Cross
Rezum could improve lives of one in three men over 50 with common condition

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hfhospitals1708a.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 8 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT   
Expires: 22 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT   
IP:
1:4
Post by LDNnews: Ladbroke Grove
Register Now to Join Maggie’s Culture Crawl on 29 September
Ten mile fundraising walk includes behind the scenes visits to London landmarks

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/maggies004.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 7 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT   
Expires: 21 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT   
IP:
1:5
Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road
West London College Forms Skills Hub with Local Employers
Aiming to ensure students are ready to go straight into work after graduating

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hfcollege010.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:50 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:50 GMT   
IP:
2:6
Post by LDNnews: Elverson Road
Made in Chelsea and Love Island stars set to make appearance at Bexleyheath Broadway’s rooftop music event
Love Island star Marcel and Jamie Laing from Made In Chelsea will be appearing in Bexleyheath as the Broadway Shopping Centre hosts a rooftop music event.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15473481.Made_in_Chelsea_and_Love_Island_stars_set_to_make_appearance_at_Bexleyheath_Broadway_s_rooftop_music_event/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:50 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:50 GMT   
IP:
2:7
Post by LDNnews: Lewisham
A West Wickham dad has built an app that will stop kids from ignoring their parents’ messages
Most parents find it annoying when their teenagers don’t pick up their phones.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/15477198.A_West_Wickham_dad_has_built_an_app_that_will_stop_kids_from_ignoring_their_parents__messages/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:30 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:30 GMT   
IP:
2:8
Post by LDNnews: Clapham South
London weather: Remnants of Hurricane Gert could make Monday hottest day in August
Monday could be August's hottest day as the aftermath of Hurricane Gert sweeps away the recent miserable weather.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-weather-remnants-of-hurricane-gert-could-make-monday-hottest-day-in-august-a3615576.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:20 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:20 GMT   
IP:
2:9
Post by LDNnews: Clapham North
A beautiful model car is all this man has to remember the father he never knew by
A picture of a little boy in a blue model car is one of Collin Rich’s most prized possessions.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/15482720.A_beautiful_model_car_is_all_this_man_has_to_remember_the_father_he_never_knew_by/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:10 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:10 GMT   
IP:
2:10
Post by LDNnews: Chorleywood
Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer 'doesn't understand' the Premier League, says Simon Jordan
Crystal Palace manager Frank de Boer doesn't understand the Premier League and was a risky appointment by the club, according to former chairman and owner Simon Jordan.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/crystal-palace-frank-de-boer-doesn-t-understand-premier-league-jordan-a3615461.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:10 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:10 GMT   
IP:
2:11
Post by LDNnews: Chiswick Park
Liverpool 1 Crystal Palace 0: Premier League action live as it happened
Klopp gets the better of De Boer at Anfield

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-vs-crystal-palace-live-score-premier-league-goal-updates-team-news-a3615286.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:10 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:10 GMT   
IP:
2:12
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane
Manchester United's 'pace and power' impresses Arsenal icon Thierry Henry
Arsenal icon Thierry Henry hailed Manchester United as they cut Swansea apart with a ruthless display of counter-attacking football in Saturday's 4-0 win.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-pace-and-power-impresses-arsenal-icon-thierry-henry-a3615501.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 19 Aug 2017 19:10 GMT   
Expires: 2 Sep 2017 19:10 GMT   
IP:
2:13
Post by LDNnews: Canons Park
Stoke 1 Arsenal 0: Premier League live action as it happened
Gunners fall to defeat against the Potters

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/stoke-vs-arsenal-live-score-premier-league-goal-updates-team-news-a3615326.html
VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE QUEENS PARK ESTATE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Kensal Town

Soapsuds Island

Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.

Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road, Middle Row, West Row, East Row and Southern Row all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.

The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.

The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.

Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.

In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.

By 1923 in the Southam Street area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Beethoven Street School:   Beethoven Street School was opened in 1881 to serve the community of the newly-built Queen's Park Estate.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Rise:   Former location of the National Athletic Grounds
Kilburn Lane Farm:   A farm existed in Kilburn Lane until the 1860s, by which time it had been disrupted by the railway line.
Lancefield Coachworks:   Lancefield Coachworks was a builder of bespoke bodies for expensive car chassis always introducing sporting elements into designs.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Selby Square, W10:   Selby Square is a walkway in the Queen’s Park Estate
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910):   2015
Hudson's the chemist (1906):   Hudson's, a chemist shop, stood on the corner of Ilbert Street and Third Avenue in the Queen's Park estate.
Kensal Rise (1907):   Motor buses at Kensal Rise station.
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015
Rural Chamberlayne Road (1900s):   Until after the first world war, the area north of Kensal Rise was still fields.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Allington Road, NW6 · Allington Road, W10 · Alperton Street, W10 · Banister Road, W10 · Barfett Street, W10 · Bayford Road, NW10 · Beethoven Street, W10 · Bolton Gardens, NW10 · Bridge House, NW10 · Bruckner Street, W10 · Brunel Mews, W10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Caird Street, W10 · Caird Street, W9 · Chamberlayne Road, NW10 · Compton Road, NW10 · Creighton Road, NW6 · Dart Street, W10 · Dowland Street, W10 · Droop Street, W10 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · First Avenue, W10 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Harvist Road, NW10 · Harvist Road, NW6 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Herries Street, W10 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · Kempe Road, NW10 · Kempe Road, NW6 · Keslake Mansions, NW10 · Keslake Road, NW6 · Keslake Road, NW6 · Kilburn Lane, W10 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Lancefield Street, W10 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Marne Street, W10 · Milman Road, NW6 · Mozart Street, W10 · Nutbourne Street, W10 · Oliphant Street, W10 · Onslow Close, W10 · Park Mews, W10 · Parry Road, W10 · Peach Road, W10 · Pember Road, NW10 · Peploe Road, NW6 · Rainham Road, NW10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Second Avenue, W10 · Severn Avenue, W10 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · Station Terrace, NW10 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Symphony Mews, W10 · The Arches, W10 · The Quadrant, W10 · Third Avenue, W10 · Tolhurst Drive, W10 · Wakeman Road, NW10 · Warfield Road, NW10 · Wellington Road, NW10 · Wrentham Avenue, NW10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kensal Green
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

John Rocque Map of Ealing and Acton (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Greenford in the northwest to Hammersmith in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.