Cavendish Avenue, Sudbury, Middlesex
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar
Print-friendly version of this page
Cavendish Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Sudbury Hill is part of the London Borough of Harrow.
|ADD A STORY TO CAVENDISH AVENUE|
|VIEW THE SUDBURY HILL AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SUDBURY HILL AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SUDBURY HILL AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SUDBURY HILL AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE SUDBURY HILL AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Sudbury Hill station was opened on 28 June 1903 by the District Railway on its new extension to South Harrow from Park Royal & Twyford Abbey.
This new extension was, together with the existing tracks back to Acton Town, the first section of the Underground's surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains.
The deep-level tube lines open at that time (City & South London Railway, Waterloo & City Railway and Central London Railway) had been electrically powered from the start.
The original station building was demolished in 1930 and 1931 and replaced by a new station in preparation for the handover of the branch from the District line to the Piccadilly line. The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Like the stations at Sudbury Town and Alperton to the south as well as others that Holden designed elsewhere for the east and west Piccadilly line extensions such as Acton Town and Oakwood, Sudbury Hill station features a tall block-like ticket hall rising above a low horizontal structure that contains station facilities and shops. The brick walls of the ticket hall are punctuated with panels of clerestory windows and the structure is capped with a flat concrete slab roof.
On 4 July 1932 the Piccadilly line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District line was replaced by the Piccadilly line.
Since 1994 it has been a Grade II Listed Building.
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Andrews Close
· Arden Close
· Ashneal Gardens
· Bengeworth Road
· Church Hill
· Elmfield Close
· Farmborough Close
· Fernbank Avenue
· Fircroft Gardens
· Football Lane
· Garlands Lane
· Grantchester Close
· Grove Hill
· Harrow Cricket Club
· Harrow Park
· Harrow School
· Harrow School Playing Fields
· Herga Court
· Heritage View
· Highfield Avenue
· Hill Close
· Horsenden Avenue
· Ingleby Drive
· John Lyon Playing Fields
· Kingsfield Road
· Knowles Court
· Lansdowne Road
· Littleton Crescent
· London Road
· Mount Park Road
· Music Hill
· Nightingale Avenue
· Northwick Park Hospital
· Obadiah Slope
· Old Lyonian Association
· Orley Farm Road
· Orley Farm School
· Penketh Drive
· Pickwick Place
· Proyers Path
· Public Footpath No. 62
· Public Footpath No. 63
· Rama Court
· Roxborough Avenue
· South Hill Avenue
· South Hill Grove
· St Anselm’s Catholic Primary School
· St Dominic’s Sixth Form College
· St George’s Primary School
· ST MARK’S CLOSE
· Sudbury Court Drive
· Sudbury Court Road
· Sudbury Hill
· The Jubilee Academy
· The Yard
· Trafalgar Terrace
· Tyrell Close
· Wellington Terrace
· Wendela Court
· West Street
· Yew Walk
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.