Cavendish Square, W1G

Road in/near Marylebone, existing between 1717 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
100.24.122.228 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Marylebone · W1G ·
October
12
2013

Cavendish Square was laid out in 1717–18 at the beginning of the transformation of Harley family lands in Marylebone.


In 1711, John Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle, bought the Manor of Tyburn from its owner John Austen. Within months, Holles was dead and Tyburn’s ownership passed to his daughter, Lady Henrietta Cavendish-Holles. Two years later, she married Edward Harley, son of Queen Anne’s chief minister who had become the 1st Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer. In 1717 Francis Seale became steward of the estate.

The younger Lord Harley in due course inherited his father’s title. His uncle – also called Edward – was much more interested in the value of the land than the 2nd Earl and started to look for investors.

In December 1717 the elder Edward Harley wrote to his nephew to tell him that six peers planned to build houses on their estate. He in June 1718 secured the first building agreement for the square, with Lord Carnarvon (soon to become Duke of Chandos).

Harley asked Francis Seale to suggest a road layout and plan with a Mr John Prince, a builder from Covent Garden. The two men started to negotiate building leases. What was to become Cavendish Square’s garden was enclosed in 1718 and sewers were laid. It was described as a ‘very spacious and noble Square, and many streets that are to form avenues to it’. Cavendish Square was planned to be an area where aristocrats would live – large villas with ample gardens.

In 1719, John Prince published the plan which would urbanise the fields of Marylebone. It was a novel design which would be much copied by other upper class landowners looking to cash in on their agricultural estates in what would become the West End. It was a grid system based around Cavendish Square.

Such was the social cache of the square that rental values in the area were calculated as a function of distance from Cavendish Square – the further away one chose to live, the further down the pecking order one was.

Streets leading from the square were named after family connections – Holles Street and Harley Street for example. Oxford Street on the southern boundary of the new plan was not named as it led to Oxford (which it ultimately did) but for the Earl.

Another innovation of the estate was the 99 year lease to “attract better-quality building”. The South Sea Bubble burst at the end of 1720 and collapse ruined many - the decline in the Cavendish Square’s prospects was rapid.

In 1730, nearby Hanover Square – the main upmarket rival to Cavendish Square - had been completed. Cavendish Square was nowhere near as advanced with some vacant land being used as a rubbish dump. Smaller houses began to be built on the south side with completion not achieved until 1741.

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.