Central Square, NW11

Road in/near Hampstead Garden Suburb, existing between 1912 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.210.23.15 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hampstead Garden Suburb · NW11 ·
APRIL
29
2019

Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west.

View towards Central Square
Credit: Hampstead Garden Suburb trust
Raymond Unwin’s 1905 preliminary plan of Hampstead Garden Suburb defined a central area containing churches and public buildings with a formal approach road from the Heath.

By 1908 the design had become formalised with two central churches and The Institute, dedicated to adult learning. The Institute subsequently became Henrietta Barnet School. It was not possible to mirror the houses on the west of North Square with some on the due to the then land ownership.

Sir Edwin Lutyens finished designs for St Jude’s and the Free Church between 1908 and 1910. The final Central Square layout was complete in 1912.

Central Square was designed as a focus for the spiritual, recreational and community needs of Suburb residents. The centre of the Square is a public garden with tennis courts. The housing was designed for affluent residents but Southwood Court and Bigwood Court were originally intended as flats for the bereaved families of servicemen.


Main source: The Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust
Further citations and sources


xxx

View towards Central Square
Hampstead Garden Suburb trust


 

Hampstead Garden Suburb

Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London.

The master plan was prepared by Barry Parker and Sir Raymond Unwin.
Print-friendly version of this page