Central Way, SE28

Road built in the 1980s with housing mainly dating from the 1990s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.207.152.62 
Abbey Terrace · Abbey Wood · Abbey Wood Nursery School · Abbotts Close · Alexander McLeod Primary School · Amberley Road · Ampleforth Road (1968) · Andwell Close · Attlee Road · Averley Road · Barnham Drive · Bellarmine Close · Belvedere Road · Belvedere Road · Bentham Road · Birchmere Park · Birkdale Road · Bishop John Robinson Church of England Primary School · Bledlow Close · Blyth Road · Bostall Hill (1910) · Bostall Lane · Boxgrove Primary School · Bracondale Road · Brodrick Grove · Byron Close · Camping · Campion Place · Carlyle Road · Cassilda Road · Castilion Primary School · Celandine Drive · Chalcombe Road · Chart Hills Close · Chervil Mews · Clocktower mews · Clocktower Mews · Coltness Crescent · Commonwealth Way · Cookhill Road · Copperfield Road · Coralline Walk · Courtland Grove · Crossway Park · Crowden Way · Curlew Close · Dahlia Road · Dalberg Way · De Lucy Primary School · Dean Road · Dianthus Close · Discovery Primary School · Disraeli Close · Dolphin Close · Drake Close · Duxford House · Eastern Way · Eastern Way · Eastern Way · Epstein Road · Evenlode House · Fairway Drive · Fantail Close · Felixstowe Road · Fieldfare Road · Finchale Road · Finchdale Road · Fleming Way · Floathaven Close · Floods in Abbey Wood · Friars Walk · Fuchsia Street · Gadwall Way · Gallions Reach Health Centre · Galsworthy Close · Gatling Road · Glendale Way · Glenview · Godstow Road · Goldcrest Close · Grange Crescent · Grange Cresent · Grasshaven Way · Greening Street · Grovebury Road · Hampstead Close · Hanfield Road · Harness Road · Harrow Manor Way · Harrow Manorway Exit · Harrow Manorway Exit · Harrow Manorway · Hawksmoor School · Heathview Drive · Hermitage Close · High Tor View · Hinksey Path · Holt Close · Hoveton Road · Howarth Road (1906) · Howarth Road · Hurst Lane · Hurst Place · Hutchins Road · Joyce Dawson Way · Jubilee Primary School · Kentlea Road · Kinder Close · Kingfisher Close · Knee Hill (c.1900) · Knee Hill Crescent · Knee Hill · Lakeside Avenue · Lakeside Health Centre · Lanridge Road · Lensbury Way · Linnet Close · Linton Mead Primary School · Linton Mead · Lipton Close · Lodge Hill · Longleigh Lane · Longleigh Lane · Longworth Close · Ludham Close · Luffield Road · Lytham Close · Manor Close · Manordene Road · Manorside Close · Manton Road · Meadowford Close · Milford Close · Monks Close · Mulberry Park Children’s Centre · Nassau Path · Newmarsh Road · Nickelby Close · Oriole Way · Overton Road · Owen Close · Peterstone Road · pinewood Road · Pitfield Crescent · Plumstead High Street · Poplar Place · Priory Drive · Redbourne Drive · Rockmount Road · Rollesby Way · Roman Square · Rosedale Close · Rushdene · Sandycroft · Saunders Way · Schoolhouse Education · Sorrel Close · Sorrell Close · St Margaret Clitherow Catholic Primary School · St Mellion Close · St Paul’s Academy · Streamdale · Sunningdale Close · Sunset Road · Surlingham Close · Swift Close · Tawney Road · Thamesmead · The Cottage Bostall Heath · The Wayleave · Throwley Close · Tram Terminus · Trewsbury House · Twin Tumps Way · Villacourt Road · Viola Avenue · Voyagers Close · Waldstock Road · Waterside Close · Waterways Children’s Centre · Wentworth Close · Westergate Road · Whimbrel Close · Wickham Lane · Willrose Crescent · Windrush Primary School · Wolvercote Road · Woodbrook Road · Woodland Way · Woodpecker Road · Woolwich Polytechnic School · Woolwich Road
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Abbey Wood · SE28 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000

Central Way is one of the streets of London in the SE28 postal area.


VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE ABBEY WOOD AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Abbey Wood

Between Plumstead to the west and Erith to the east, Abbey Wood takes its name from the nearby Lesnes Abbey and Bostall Woods.

The original 19th century Abbey Wood (known locally as The Village) is the area immediately south of Abbey Wood railway station, built where Knee Hill became Harrow Manorway and crossed the railway (North Kent Line). This is now the centre where three phases of house building (almost) meet.

The Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society (RACS) bought two farms on the hillside to the south and between 1900 and 1930 built the Bostall Estate. Once known as Tin Check Island after the Society's dividend system, this has streets named for Co-operative themes (Alexander McLeod, Rochdale, Robert Owen, Congress), a school & shops but no pubs.

Between 1956 & 1959 the London County Council built the Abbey Estate on former Royal Arsenal marshland to the north (between the railway and the Southern Outfall sewer bank heading for Crossness). Predominently conventional brick houses with gardens, equipped with shopping centres, schools and open spaces, the estate was used to rehouse people from London's East End. The main through-road is Eynsham Drive.

In the early 1970s the Greater London Council began building the first phase of Thamesmead on more ex-Royal-Arsenal land, north-east of Abbey Wood station. The original railway level crossing was replaced by a flyover.

In 1951 Abbey Wood was the destination of the last of the pre-war trams to run in London.

Abbey Wood railway station serves the suburb. It was opened by the South Eastern Railway on 30 July 1849.

During the 1860s William Morris famously used a decorated wagon to commute between this station and his new home at Red House, Bexleyheath, occasionally with his eccentric and artistic house guests.

The station has been rebuilt twice to cater for the changing nature of the area. The station was to be served by the proposed Greenwich Waterfront Transit, however the project was cancelled due to lack of funds.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


South Essex and North Kent (1805)
Ordnance Survey First Series. The first completed map was of the county of Kent in 1801. The first use of the term Ordnance Survey in manuscript was in 1801, but it did not appear on an engraved map until 1810. William Mudge was the effective head from the start and actual head of the Survey from 1804 to 1820.
Reproduced from the 1805 Ordnance Survey map.

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.