Chancery Lane, WC2A

Road in/near Chancery Lane, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
18.206.168.65 
Adam Street · Addle Hill · Adelphi Terrace · Albion Place · Aldwych · Aldwych · Aldwych · Alsatia · Amen Court · Arundel Street · Barbican · Blackfriars · Blackmoore Street (1902) · Bleeding Heart Yard · Bloomsbury Square · Boswell Street · Bridge Walk · Carthusian Street · Carting Lane · Catherine Street · Central School of Ballet · Chancery Lane · Chancery Lane · Charterhouse Street · Charterhouse Street · Chichester Rents · City Temple · Clare Market · Clement’s Inn · Cosmo Place · Courtauld Institute of Art · Covent Garden · Cowcross Street · Deans Court · Devereux Court · Dombey Street · Dyer’s Buildings · Eagle Court · Eagle Street · East Harding Street · Ely Place · Embankment · Endell Street · Exeter Street · Falcon Court · Farringdon · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Road · Farringdon Street · Farringdon Street · Fleet Street looking east (c.1920) · George Court · Great Russell Street · Great Turnstile · Guilford Street · Half Moon Court · Hardwicke Building · Hat and Mitre Court · Hatch End Millenium Bridge · Hatton Garden · Herbal Hill · High Holborn · High Holborn · High Holborn · Holborn · Holborn Viaduct · Holborn · Holsworthy Square · Horse Hospital · Houghton Square · Houghton Street (1906) · Houghton Street · Howard Street · Inner Temple Gardens · Ireland Yard · Ivybridge Lane · John Adam Street · John’s Mews · Kemble Street · Kingsgate Street · Kingsway · Lamb’s Conduit Passage · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Leather Lane · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lincoln’s Inn Fields · Lisle’s Tennis Court · London Silver Vaults · Ludgate Circus (1873) · Magpie Alley · Maple Leaf Walk · Martlett Court · Melbourne Place · Middlesex Sessions House · Millennium Bridge · Montreal Place · Museum of the Order of St John · New Inn Passage (1901) · New Square Passage · New Square · Norfolk Street · Old Buildings · Old Square · Orange Street · Ormond Close · Pageantmaster Court · Passing Alley · Peabody Trust Estate · Peabody Trust Estate · PO Box 67107 · PO Box 71519 · Pooles Buildings · Powis Place · Quality Court · Queen Annes Square · Red Lion Court · Regent Square · River Terrace · Rolls Buildings · Rolls Passage · Royal Opera House · Russell Street · Saffron Hill · Saint Andrew Street · Saint Andrew’s Hill · Saint Cross Street · Saint John Street · Saint John’s Lane · Sardinia Street · Savoy Hill · Savoy Way · Serle Street · Shelton Street · Shipley's Drawing School · Showing every photo/image so far featured · Silver Vaults · Smithfield · South Square · Southampton Buildings · Southampton Buildings · Southampton Row · St Andrew · St Bartholomew’s Hospital · St Brides Avenue · St Clement’s Passage · St Etheldreda’s Church · St John's Gate · St John’s Gate · St Paul's Cathedral · St Paul’s Churchyard · St Peter’s Italian Church · Staple Inn · Staple Inn Buildings North · Staple Inn Buildings · Staple Inn Buildings · Star Yard · Stone Buildings · Strand (1890s) · Strand Lane · Strand Underpass · Strand · Strand · Tallis Street · Tavistock Street · Temple · Temple Bar · Thavie’s Inn · The Adelphi · The Edmund J. Safra Fountain Court · Theobald’s Road · Thomas Neal’s shopping centre · Tweezer’s Alley · Victoria Embankment · Warwick Lane · Water Street · Waterloo Bridge · Whetstone Park · Wild Street (1902) · William IV Street · Wych Street · Yorkshire Grey Roundabout · Yorkshire Grey Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Chancery Lane · WC2A · Contributed by The Underground Map
December
16
2018

Chancery Lane has formed the western boundary of the City of London since 1994, having previously been divided between the London boroughs of Westminster and Camden.

Chancery Lane originates from before 1161 as a ’new lane’. It was created by the Knights Templar from the ’Old Temple’ on the site of the Southampton Buildings on Holborn, in order to access their newly acquired property (the present Temple).

The street takes its name from the historic High Court of Chancery established in 1161 when Robert de Chesney, Bishop of Lincoln, acquired the ’old Temple’.

On the eastern side was the original site of the Domus Conversorum (House of the Converts), a residence and chapel for Jews who had converted to Christianity, founded by King Henry III in the 13th century.

The site later became the Public Record Office designed by Sir James Pennethorne in 1851. In the latter half of the 20th century, records relocated to Kew. In 2001 it underwent renovation and became the Maughan Library.

Lincoln’s Inn occupies most of the western side of Chancery Lane north of Carey Street.

Some of the side streets are named after their associations with now defunct legal practices, such as Rolls Buildings and Cursitor Alley.

Source: Chancery Lane - Wikipedia

Citations, sources, links and further reading

Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page
Facebook Page

VIEW THE CHANCERY LANE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHANCERY LANE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHANCERY LANE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHANCERY LANE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CHANCERY LANE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Chancery Lane

Chancery Lane originated as a 'new lane' created by the Knights Templar from their original 'old Temple' on the site of the present Southampton Buildings on Holborn, in order access to their newly acquired property to the south of Fleet Street (the present Temple) sometime before 1161.

Historically, the street was associated with the legal profession, an association which continues to the present day; however, consulting firms, ancillary businesses and the Maughan Library also occupy the street. Lincoln's Inn occupies most of the western side north of Carey Street.

The principal building of the Law Society, the professional body for solicitors in England and Wales, is at No. 113. Ede and Ravenscroft, the oldest tailors in London, have their main (and historic) outlet and offices at No. 93, which is also their outlet for legal dress. The London Silver Vaults are located at the northern end of Chancery Lane.

Note that the marker shows the location of the tube station rather than the street.

Chancery Lane tube station lies at the junction of Holborn and Gray's Inn Road, a short distance from Chancery Lane's northern end.

The station was opened by the Central London Railway (CLR) on 30 July 1900. The original, disused station building is on the north side of High Holborn at nos. 31–33, approximately 400 feet to the west, closer to High Holborn's junction with Chancery Lane. Originally, provided with four lifts between ground and platform levels, the station was rebuilt in the early 1930s to operate with escalators. It was not possible to construct the inclined escalator shaft between the platforms and the existing entrance and so a new sub-surface ticket hall was constructed below the road junction. The old entrance building became redundant and, in recognition of the location of the new entrance, the station was renamed Chancery Lane (Gray's Inn), although the suffix subsequently fell out of use.

It is one of eight London Underground stations which has a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath it. After World War II this was turned into Kingsway telephone exchange. Access to the shelter was via the original station building and lift shaft as well as subsidiary entrances in Furnival Street and Took's Court.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north east (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north east.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.