Showing every road so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.214.184.250 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Knightsbridge · SW1X ·
JANUARY
5
2019

Chapel Street runs south-west to north-east from Belgrave Square to Grosvenor Place.


Chapel Street dates from 1775 and was named after a former Lock chapel here adjacent to a hospital, both now demolished. All of the short streets connecting Belgravia to Grosvenor Place - Chapel Street, Chester Street, Halkin Street and Wilton Street, predate Thomas Cubitt’s master plan for Belgravia and were built up from the late 18th century.

24 Chapel Street was home to Brian Epstein, the manager of the Beatles. He died there on 27 August 1967 of an accidental barbiturate and alcohol overdose.


Main source: Chapel Street, Belgravia - Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Knightsbridge

Knightsbridge was originally a small hamlet, between the villages of Chelsea (Chelsey), Kensington (Kensing town) and Charing. In the time of Edward I, the manor of Knightsbridge appertained to the abbey of Westminster. It was named after a crossing of the River Westbourne, which is now an underground river.

Knightsbridge is notable as an ultra-expensive residential area, and for the density of its upmarket retail outlets. Fourteen of Britain's two hundred most expensive streets are in the district.

Knightsbridge is leafy, especially considering its location at the heart of London. It is home to many of the world's richest people, and has some of the highest property prices in the world. In February 2007, the world's then most expensive apartment at One Hyde Park, sold off plan for £100,000,000, and was bought by a Qatari Prince, and another apartment at the same place in February 2009, of almost the same price was bought by an Afghani Prince.

The principal landowners in the area are the Duke of Westminster and Earl Cadogan. The two areas of aristocratic landholdings can be distinguished: red-brick Queen Anne Revival buildings are mostly to be found on the Cadogan Estates, whereas white stucco-fronted houses are mostly found on the Grosvenor Estate, built by Thomas Cubitt.

Knightsbridge station opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly Line). When opened, the platforms were accessed in the standard manner by four lifts and an emergency staircase connecting to parallel passageways and bridges to midway along the platforms. The original station building designed by Leslie Green was located on Brompton Road a short distance west of its junction with Knightsbridge and Sloane Street.
Print-friendly version of this page