Cherry Lane, West Drayton, Middlesex

Road maybe laid out between the wars. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.215.182.36 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · West Drayton · UB7 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Cherry Lane is one of the streets of London in the UB7 postal area.



xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

West Drayton

West Drayton is an area in the London Borough of Hillingdon in the far west of London, England. Formerly part of the Yiewsley and West Drayton Urban District of Middlesex, the district became part of Greater London in 1965.

West Drayton station is on the original line of the Great Western Railway, and was opened on 4 June 1838 at the same time as the line.

From 1 March 1883, the station was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. The service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885.

In 939 the area was known as Draegtun, meaning 'farmstead at or near a portage or slope used for dragging Down loads', or 'farmstead where drays or sledges are used'. It is recorded as Draitone in the 1086 Domesday Book, and as Westdrayton in 1465.

The former RAF West Drayton was host to a military air traffic control (ATC) centre co-located with the civil London Area and Terminal Control Centre (LATCC), but these functions have been relocated to Swanwick), with the last ATC functions ending in January 2008.
Print-friendly version of this page