Christopher Place, NW1

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.91.121.255 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abbey Place · Acton Street · Affleck Street · Agar Town · Albion Yard · Aldenham Street · Ampere Way · Ampere Way · Argyle Square · Bap and Pickle Smugglers Tavern · Barnby Street · Baynham Place · Be At One · Beatty Street · Bedford Way · Belgrove Street · Bloomsbury · Bloomsbury Theatre · Bridgeway Street · Brill Place · British Library · Brock Street · Byng Place · Callaghans · Calthorpe Arms · Camden People’s Theatre · Canal 125 · Cardington Street · Chalton Street · Charles 1 · Charrington Street · Chenies Mews · Chenies Place · Church Way · Churchway · Clarence Gardens · Clarkson Row · Clipstone Mews · Coach Road · Coach Road · Compton Place · Cooper’s Lane · County Hotel Ground Floor Bar · Cranleigh Street · Crestfield Street · Crinan Street · Cromer Street · Crown & Anchor · Crowndale Court · Crowndale Road · Darwin Walk · Doric Way · Doric Arch · Doric Way · Doughty Street · Drummond Crescent · Duke’s Road · Eastnor Castle · Elixir Bar · Euston · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Road · Euston Square · Euston Square · Euston Tap · Euston Tower · Eversholt Street · Everton Buildings · Exmouth Arms · Fairyland · Fitzrovia · Fitzrovia Belle · Fitzroy Court · Fitzroy Square · Fitzroy Street · Flaxman Terrace · Fleet Square · Foundling Hospital · Foundry Mews · Frederick Street · Friend at Hand · Gallery Coffee Shop · Gatti’s Wharf · Goods Way · Gower Court · Gower Street · Grafton Arms · Grafton Place · Grafton Way · Grafton Way · Grays Inn Road · Greenwell Street · Guilford Street · Hampden Close · Hampstead Road · Hare & Tortoise · Harrington Street · Heathcote Street · Herbrand Street · Horse Hospital · Jeremy Bentham · John’s Mews · Judd Street · Keystone Crescent · King’s Boulevard · King’s Cross Road · King’s Cross Square · King’s Cross Station Concourse · King's Cross St Pancras · Koko · Lamb’s Conduit Street · Lamb’s Mews · Lancing Street · Lidlington Place · Lincoln Arms · Little Guildford Street · London Pub · Lord John Russell P.H. · Lorenzo Street · Lucas Arms · Lyttleton Arms · Mabel’s Tavern · Malet Place · Maple Street · Marquis Cornwallis · Mayford · McGlynn Freehouse · Mecklenburgh Street · Mecklenburgh Street · Medburn Street · Midhope Street · Midland Road · Miller’s Bar · Millman Place · Mornington Crescent · Mornington Cresent · Mortimer Market · Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd · New Bloomsbury Set · Night and Day Bar Imperial Hotel · Norfolk Arms · North Cloisters · Northumberland Arms · Northumberland Arms · O’Neill’s · Oakley Square · Oakshott Court · Ossulston Estate · Ossulston Street · Pancras Road · Pancras Square · Penryn Street · Phoenix Road · Polygon Road · Powis Place · Prince Arthur · Prince Of Wales Feathers · Purchese Street · Queen Annes Square · Queen’s Head · Queen’s Yard · Regent Square · Regent’s Canal towpath · Regent’s Canal towpath · Resident’s Club Bar · Rhodes Farm · Royal Academy of Dramatic Art · Royal George · Russell Square · Russell Square · Secrets · Seymour House · Shaker and Company · Sidmouth Street · Simmons Bar · Skinners Arms · Smithy’s Wine Bar · Somers Close · Somers Town · South Cloisters · Southern Street · Spearmint Rhino · St Aloysius Social Club · St Pancras · St. Chad’s Street · St. James Gardens · Tankerton Street · Tavistock Bar · Tavistock Place · Terrett’s Place · The 'Royal Blue' horse omnibus outside 5 Euston Road (1912) · The Bar at TCR · The Boot · The Bree Louise · The Carpenters Arms · The Carpenters Arms · The Circle · The Cock Tavern · The Court · The Dolphin · The Driver · The Duke of York · The Euston Flyer · The Fellow · The George & Dragon · The Harrison · The Lamb · The Lukin · The Perseverance · The Place Theatre Bar · The Polygon · The Purple Turtle · The Rocket · The Rugby Tavern · The Sheephaven Bay · The Squares Tavern & Wine Bar · The Water Rats Club · The Wine Stores · Thornhaugh Street · Thornhill Arms · Torrington Square · Triton Street · Unity Mews · University College London · Varndell Street · Vault 139 · Wakefield St · Wakefield Street · Warren Street · Warren Street · Wells Square · Werrington Street · Westking Place · Weston Rise · Weston Rise · Whitfield Street · Whittlebury Street · Woburn Place · Woburn Square · Woburn Walk · Woolf Mews · York Road Curve · York Way · York Way
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Somers Town · NW1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Christopher Place is a street in Camden Town.



VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SOMERS TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Somers Town

Somers Town is a district close to three main line rail termini - Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross.

Historically, the name Somers Town was used for the larger triangular area between the Pancras, Hampstead, and Euston Roads, but it is now taken to mean the rough rectangle bounded by Pancras Road, Euston Road and Eversholt Street.

Somers Town was named after Charles Cocks, 1st Baron Somers (1725–1806). The area was originally granted by William III to John Somers (1651–1716), Lord Chancellor and Baron Somers of Evesham.

In the mid 1750s the New Road was established to bypass the congestion of London; Somers Town lay immediately north of this east-west toll road. In 1784, the first housing was built at the Polygon amid fields, brick works and market gardens on the northern fringes of London. The site of the Polygon is now occupied by a block of council flats called Oakshott Court.

The Polygon deteriorated socially as the surrounding land was subsequently sold off in smaller lots for cheaper housing, especially after the start of construction in the 1830s of the railway lines into Euston, St Pancras and King’s Cross. In this period the area housed a large transient population of labourers and the population density of the area soared. By the late 19th century most of the houses were in multiple occupation, and overcrowding was severe with whole families sometimes living in one room, as confirmed by the social surveys of Charles Booth and Irene Barclay.

When St Luke’s Church, near King’s Cross, was demolished to make way for the construction of the Midland Railway St Pancras Station and its Midland Grand Hotel, the estimated twelve thousand inhabitants of Somers Town at that time were deprived of that place of worship, as the church building was re-erected in Kentish Town. In 1868 the lace merchant and philanthropist George Moore funded a new church, known as Christ Church, and an associated school in Chalton Street with an entrance in Ossulston Street. The school accommodated about six hundred children. Christ Church and the adjacent school were destroyed in a World War II bombing raid and no trace remains today, the site being occupied by a children’s play area and sports court.

Improvement of the slum housing conditions, amongst the worst in the capital, was first undertaken by St Pancras Council in 1906 at Goldington Buildings, at the junction of Pancras Road and Royal College Street, and continued on a larger scale by the St Pancras House Improvement Society (subsequently the St Pancras & Humanist Housing Association, the present owner of Goldington Buildings) which was established in 1924. Further social housing was built by the London County Council, which began construction of the Ossulston Estate in 1927. There remains a small number of older Grade 2 listed properties, mostly Georgian terraced houses.

During the early 1970s the neighbourhood comprising GLC-owned housing in Charrington, Penryn, Platt and Medburn Streets was a centre for the squatting movement.

In the 1980s, some council tenants took advantage of the ’right to buy’ scheme and bought their homes at a substantial discount. Later they moved away from the area. The consequence was an influx of young semi-professional people, resulting in a changing population.

Major construction work along the eastern side of Somers Town was completed in 2008, to allow for the Eurostar trains to arrive at the refurbished St Pancras Station. This involved the excavation of part of the St Pancras Old Churchyard, the human remains being re-interred at St Pancras and Islington Cemetery in East Finchley.

Land at Brill Place, previously earmarked for later phases of the British Library development, became available when the library expansion was cancelled and was used as site offices for the HS1 terminal development and partly to allow for excavation of a tunnel for the new Thameslink station. It was then acquired as the site for the Francis Crick Institute (formerly the UK Centre for Medical Research and Innovation), a major medical research institute.
Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.