Clarence Road, SW19

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
35.170.81.210 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · South Wimbledon · SW19 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Clarence Road is one of the streets of London in the SW19 postal area.



xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

South Wimbledon

South Wimbledon is a suburb - also known as Merton - and tube station in South London.

Merton is ten minutes walk from Wimbledon centre, and is most obviously recognised by the busy crossroads at which South Wimbledon tube station is situated on one corner.

Admiral Nelson once had property in this part of London called Merton Place, and therefore a number of roads and pubs in the region (immediately to the east, and much further to the west, in Wimbledon Chase) are named after historically relevant battles and ships. The Nelson's Arms pub is on the road to Colliers Wood.

South Wimbledon station was designed by Charles Holden and was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway (now part of the Northern Line).
South Wimbledon station - not being actually in Wimbledon - was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name Merton Grove. For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named South Wimbledon (Merton) and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage.
Print-friendly version of this page