Fortune Green

Park in/near Fortune Green, existing between 1646 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
54.198.195.11 Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Park · Fortune Green · NW6 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
20
2015
Fortune Green

Fortune Green lies to the north of the ancient village of West End.

The first recorded mention of the green itself came in 1646 as a small area of manorial 'waste' where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports.

In 1820 about a third of the land in the north east corner was enclosed. Nine cottages were built for labourors and laundresses, who were allowed to keep drying poles on the Green for fourpence a year. At the southern tip of the Green is a fountain erected by the Cattle Trough and Drinking Fountain Association. Even as late as 1870 the Green was still surrounded by open fields; however, the expansion of London was beginning to encroach. By the 1880s a local residential building boom was underway after the opening of West Hampstead's underground station (1879) and overground station (1888).

In 1891 the Green was put up for sale for development. But local residents formed the Fortune Green Preservation Society to prevent it being sold, and to maintain the residents' rights of recreation.

Challenging the validity of the sale in court, the Friends provided evidence that the Green had been in regular recreational use: Fortune Green Cricket Club played 'married vs singles' matches; boxing, rounders and trapball were also popular. Despite this, to the horror of local residents, a judge allowed the sale to proceed. Undaunted, the Fortune Green Acquisition Society was set up and managed to persuade the Vestry (Council) and London County Council to pay the bulk of the cost of acquiring the Green, together with smaller contributions from Henry Harben (a local benefactor), the Worshipful Companies of Skinners and Goldsmiths and local residents.

By December 1896 they had raised the asking price of £7000 and Fortune Green was saved. It took several more months to tie up legal details, but in January and February 1898, at a cost of £555, paths were laid out and the Green was properly turfed.

In 1971 ownership of the Green was transferred to the London Borough of Camden.

Text: Friends of Fortune Green

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



Add your own contribution to Fortune Green.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Fortune Green:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 22:50 GMT   
IP: 94.3.120.166
2:1:1585
Post by Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton: Netherwood Street, NW6

I was born at 63netherwood street.need to know who else lived there.i think I moved out because of a fire but not sure


LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 8 Aug 2018 23:20 GMT   
IP:
3:2:1585
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road
Sevilla vs Barcelona: Spanish Super Cup 2018 prediction, tickets, betting tips and odds, how to watch live stream online, what TV channel, kick-off time, team news and line-ups, head to head history
The Spanish football season officially kicks off with the Supercopa de España between Sevilla and Barcelona this Sunday.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sevilla-vs-barcelona-spanish-super-cup-prediction-tv-live-stream-online-betting-odds-lineups-tickets-a3906926.html

LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 1 Aug 2018 22:30 GMT   
IP:
3:3:1585
Post by LDNnews: Finchley Road
Tottenham demand Heung-min Son misses South Korea fixtures in exchange for Asian Games appearance
Tottenham demanded Heung-min Son missed a host of South Korea matches in exchange for his appearance at this month’s Asian Games.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-demand-heungmin-son-misses-south-korea-fixtures-in-exchange-for-asian-games-appearance-a3901431.html

VIEW THE FORTUNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE FORTUNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE FORTUNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE FORTUNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE FORTUNE GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Fortune Green

Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.

The name of Fortune Green is derived from foran-tune meaning in front of the tun, probably an inn in the area.

Originally Fortune Green was a patch of manorial waste, now in the north of the ward, where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports. The Green dwindled considerably in the 19th century when the lord of the manor granted enclosure rights for about a third of the area.

Lying on the south-west side of the Finchley Road, Hampstead town council decided to build its overflow cemetery here in the 1840s.

The arrival of the Midland Railway in 1871 brought rapid development and many large houses were demolished in favour of higher density buildings. Victorian residential buildings display considerable variety in their design and detail and there are a number of large distinctive red brick mansion blocks, most of which have remained unaltered.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Alice House:   What is now the Alice House has been through a number of incarnations since it was built in the early 1900s.
Avenue Farm:   Cowhouse Farm was linked to Hodford Farm in Golders Green for a long period. As Cricklewood suburbanised, the farm became surrounded by housing.
Beckford Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Beckford's Estate:   Beckfords, belonging to the family of the same name, consisted of 15 acres north of Mill Lane and west of Fortune Green Lane.
Brondesbury:   Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor", a small hamlet in Middlesex.
Cannon Stream:   The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Canterbury House:   In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End.
Cedars:   A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878.
Child's Hill:   Childs Hill, now a select area, was formerly reknowned for bricks and laundering.
Childs Hill Park:   
Cholmley Lodge:   Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813.
Cock and Hoop:   The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723.
Earlsfields:   Between Thorplands on the east and Shoot Up Hill on the west lay several fields called Earlsfields.
Emmanuel Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Flitcroft Estate:   Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century.
Fortune Green:   Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
Gaumont State:   The Gaumont State Cinema is a Grade II listed Art Deco theatre. While it still exists, it is no longer a cinema.
Hackney College:   The Village Itinerancy Society, a Congregationalist college, was transformed into Hackney Theological Seminary.
Hillfield:   By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records.
Kilburn:   Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).
Kilburn Grange childrens centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Kilburn Grange Park:   Kilburn Grange Park is a 3.2 hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.
Kingsgate Community Centre:   Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.
Kingsgate Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Lauriston Lodge:   Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead.
Maygrove Peace Park:   On 27 April 1983, Camden Council opened Maygrove Peace Park and dedicated it as a reminder of the Council's commitment to peace.
National School:   A National School was established in West End during 1844.
New West End:   New West End was created in the 1840s on the Finchley Road.
Oaklands Hall:   On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.
Poplar House:   Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter.
Potter's Iron Foundry:   In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry.
Rainbow Montessori School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 12. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Rimon Jewish Primary School:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Ripley House:   Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge.
Sandwell House:   Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family.
St Luke’s Church of England Primary:   Free schools (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11.
St Mary’s Kilburn Church of England Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Temple Park:   Temple Park is one of the smaller suburbs of north London.
The Black Lion:   The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house.
The Grange:   The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
The Railway:   The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.
The Wet Fish Cafe:   The Wet Fish Café is an Art Deco classic at 242 West End Lane.
Thorplands:   Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane.
West Cottages, NW6:   Cottages in London NW6.
West End Green:   West End Green is situated on a corner of West End Lane, formerly the location of West End Fair.
West End Hall:   West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead).
West End House:   West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways.
West End Park:   West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.
West End Sidings Estate:   The West End Sidings Estate takes its name from the former West End railway sidings running along the Midland Railway.
West Hampstead:   The name "West Hampstead" was a 19th century invention - the original name was West End.
West Hampstead (Overground) station:   Wesr Hampstead overground station was known as West End Lane until its name was changed in 1975.
West Hampstead Police Station:   The Metropolitam Police established itself in West Hampstead during the 1880s.
West Hampstead Synagogue:   The West Hampstead Synagogue was consecrated in September 1892.
Woodbine Cottage:   Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Kilburn High Road (1880s):   This photo was taken on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Eresby Road, which has since disappeared.
Mill Lane, looking east (1900s):   Mill Lane is one of the major thoroughfares of West Hampstead.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Abbots Place, NW6 · Achilles Road, NW6 · Acol Road, NW6 · Agamemnon Road, NW6 · Ajax Road, NW6 · Albion Mews, NW6 · Aldred Road, NW6 · Ardwick Road, NW2 · Ariel Road, NW6 · Avenue Mansions, NW3 · B505, NW6 · Barlow Road, NW6 · Beaumont Gardens, NW3 · Beechworth Close, NW3 · Bentley Drive, NW2 · Berridge Mews, NW6 · Brassey Road, NW6 · Briardale Gardens, NW3 · Brondesbury Mews, NW6 · Broomsleigh Street, NW6 · Buckingham Mansions, NW6 · Buckley Road, NW6 · Burgess Hill, NW2 · Burrard Road, NW3 · Burrard Road, NW6 · Burton Road, NW6 · Callcott Road, NW6 · Candle Court Nursing Home, NW2 · Cannon Hill, NW3 · Cannon Hill, NW6 · Carlton Close, NW3 · Carlton Mews, NW6 · Cavendish Close, NW6 · Cenacle Close, NW3 · Childs Hill Walk, NW2 · Cholmley Gardens, NW6 · Church Walk, NW2 · Cleve Road, NW6 · Cloister Road, NW2 · Cotleigh Road, NW6 · Crewys Road, NW2 · Croft Way, NW3 · Croftway, NW3 · Dennington Park Road, NW6 · Devonshire Place, NW2 · Dornfell Street, NW6 · Douglas Court, NW6 · Drakes Courtyard, NW6 · Dunstan Road, NW11 · Dunstan Road, NW2 · Dunster Gardens, NW6 · Dyne Road, NW6 · Dynham Road, NW6 · Eden Close, NW3 · Elm Terrace, NW2 · Elm Terrace, NW3 · Elm Walk, NW3 · Etrona Buildings, NW2 · Exeter Parade, NW2 · Ferncroft Avenue, NW3 · Finchley Road, NW2 · Fortune Green Road, NW3 · Fortune Green Road, NW6 · Garlinge Road, NW2 · Garth Road, NW2 · Gascony Avenue, NW6 · Gladstone Mews, NW6 · Gladys Road, NW6 · Glastonbury Street, NW6 · Glenbrook Road, NW6 · Gondar Gardens, NW6 · Grange Place, NW6 · Grangeway, NW6 · Granville Road, NW2 · Hall Oak Walk, NW6 · Harvard Court, NW6 · Heathway Court, NW3 · Hemstal Road, NW6 · Hermitage Lane, NW2 · Hillfield Road, NW6 · Hilltop Road, NW6 · Hocroft Avenue, NW2 · Hocroft Road, NW2 · Hocroft Walk, NW2 · Hollycroft Avenue, NW3 · Holmdale Road, NW6 · Ingham Road, NW3 · Ingham Road, NW6 · Inglewood House, NW6 · Inglewood Road, NW6 · Iverson Road, NW6 · Kidderpore Avenue, NW3 · Kidderpore Gardens, NW3 · Kingdon Road, NW6 · Kings Gardens, NW6 · Kingsgate Place, NW6 · Kingsgate Road, NW6 · Kingsley Road, NW6 · Kylemore Road, NW6 · Liddell Road, NW6 · Linburn House, NW6 · Linstead Street, NW6 · Llanelly Road, NW2 · Llanvanor Road, NW11 · Llanvanor Road, NW2 · Loveridge Mews, NW6 · Loveridge Road, NW6 · Lowfield Road, NW6 · Lyncroft Gardens, NW6 · Lyndale Avenue, NW2 · Lyndale, NW2 · Madoc Close, NW2 · Marlborough Mansions, NW6 · Maygrove Road, NW6 · Mazenod Avenue, NW6 · Medley Road, NW6 · Messina Avenue, NW6 · Mill Lane, NW6 · Nant Road, NW2 · Narcissus Road, NW6 · Netherwood Street, NW6 · Norman Terrace, NW6 · Orestes Mews, NW6 · Palmerston Road, NW6 · Pandora Road, NW6 · Parsifal Road, NW3 · Parsifal Road, NW6 · Pattison Road, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW2 · Platt’s Lane, NW3 · Platts Lane, NW3 · Plympton Road, NW6 · Prospect Place, NW2 · Prospect Road, NW2 · Ranulf Road, NW2 · Ravenshaw Street, NW6 · Ridge Road, NW2 · Rose Joan Mews, NW6 · Rosecroft Avenue, NW3 · Rosedene, NW6 · Rowntree Close, NW6 · Saint Cuthberts Road, NW2 · Salmon Mews, NW6 · Sandwell Crescent, NW6 · Sarre Road, NW2 · Sherriff Road, NW6 · Smyrna Road, NW6 · Solent Road, NW6 · St Cuthbert?s Road, NW2 · Streatley Road, NW6 · Studholme Court, NW3 · Sumatra Road, NW6 · Sunnyside, NW2 · Swiss Terrace, NW6 · The Arches, NW6 · The Mansions, NW6 · The Terrace, NW6 · Torbay Road, NW6 · Ulysses Place, E20 · Ulysses Road, NW6 · Vernon Court, NW2 · Waterloo Passage, NW6 · Wayne Kirkum Way, NW6 · Webheath, NW6 · Weech Road, NW6 · Welbeck Mansions, NW6 · West Cottages, NW6 · West End Lane, NW6 · West Heath Avenue, NW3 · West Heath Close, NW3 · West Heath Gardens, NW2 · West Heath Gardens, NW3 · West Heath Road, NW3 · Westover Hill, NW3 · Willesden Court, S43 · Woodchurch Road, NW6 · Wycombe Gardens, NW11 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Friends of Fortune Green
Community site
West Hampstead
Facebook Page
Kilburn
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.