Print-friendly version of this page South End Green is the focus of a distinct Hampstead community.
Cressy Road was named for a famous English victory by its builder Thomas Gibb.
The battle of Cressy, near Calais, took place during the Hundred Years’ War.
South End Green has been marked as such on maps since the 18th century, going simultaneously by another name - Pond Street
The area took more shape along the rough edges of Hampstead Heath in 1835, when the small puddle at the bottom of aptly-named Pond Street
was filled in. Much like Parliament Hill
on the opposite side of the Heath, the arrival of a tram terminus brought people, shops, roads, homes and large public houses to this once sleepy hamlet by mid-century.